HP PC Problems

ACOLYTE 11:04 06 Jul 05

I am trying to fix my nephews pc its a hewlet packard,it came preinstalled with xp home and was given him by his granddad its in a right mess spyware and dialers and i think a virus of somkind but im not sure,anyway some drivers are missing for the cd/rw and dvd player and they have exclemation marks next to them so they dont show up in My computer,also and i cant work out how he has done this all the items that are installed are shown as links on the desktop,not shortcuts to them the actual files,i cant run a sfc because it asks for the cd and i dont have it
AOL,and NIS are installed and it making everything slow,and AOL opens like 4 popups every time i press a buttom on the keyboard i have tried to uninstall most things but get errors,like it cant find a regestry file or invalid Msdos subsytem so they wont uninstall and those that do still show in add/remove so can someone tell me how to get this pc back to factory settings without formating i have tried repairing but it says there are files missing and stops and the folder that xp should be in is empty!.

mattyc_92 11:11 06 Jul 05

Sounds like you have got your work cut-out... lol

The drives problem, should be resolved by using teh "Add Hardware" wizard from the Control Pannel

As for the factory settings, you can only do that by formatting by using the recovery disk. If your nephew has lost the recovery disk (or hasn't made one from the hidden partition and the files are missing) I would contact the company who sold the system to your nephew's granddad.

Good luck to you mate....

ACOLYTE 11:23 06 Jul 05

Yeah its a nightmare,i did try using add hardware wizard and it opens to where the drivers should be but that folder is empty as well,so i tried adding the bog standerd driver that windows has and i get an error saying a fault occured while installing and the device may not work correctly even though it recognises the drive make/model at the time when the driver wizard ends it still has exclemation marks next to them.I dont have a recovery disk and i rang his grandad and he hasnt got one either he says he used the files on the pc to restore and doesnt know where they have gone,the pc is out of warrenty now so if i contact the company it may cost and im looking to avoid that if i can.
I was tinkering with the idea of putting win98 on it but im not sure that would work and may mean more hassle as both hard driver are NTFS file system,i cant find the code for the current xp install so if i did format i dont have a code to reinstall,lol think ill hit it with a big hammer.

mattyc_92 11:29 06 Jul 05

Try click here to find the serial number.

Have you tried system restore?

ACOLYTE 11:36 06 Jul 05

Yep i tried a sytem retore but as far as i can tell it stays the same after it has been restored the files are still missing for the cd/dvd and also the pci modem isnt recognised then,lol.I have downloaded the key finder and see if this works but i still need the original xp to put the cd key into lol.Or could i install another version of xp and use this key with that?
im not sure on the legality of that though.

mattyc_92 11:49 06 Jul 05

As long as the installation disk you use is legal and is XP Home, then the serial SHOULD work. You will have to activate Windows though, so you may need to explain to Microsoft what you have done and why. I am sure they will allow you to do this, as you are really paying for the lisence than the installation disk (abit of both, but mainly the lisence.. lol)

It's worth a try

mattyc_92 11:50 06 Jul 05

As long as the installation disk you use is legal and is XP Home, then the serial SHOULD work. You will have to activate Windows though, so you may need to explain to Microsoft what you have done and why. I am sure they will allow you to do this, as you are really paying for the lisence than the installation disk (abit of both, but mainly the lisence.. lol)

It's worth a try

mattyc_92 11:52 06 Jul 05

I would contact MS first to see if you can do this. I imagine that they will allow you...

Micro-Man 13:09 06 Jul 05

We've been down this road before on "Win XP Product Code", click here

ACOLYTE 20:10 06 Jul 05

Well i tried and failed i cant even get into the bios its really messed up and i cant use any cd's because the drives dont work all i get is the blue HP screen when i try to get in the bios
and msdos subsytem errors on nearly everything i try to uninstall.From what i have been told windows was installed on a partition on the C: drive as well as on the F: hard drive because it had errors and was crashing then the person who supposedly mended the pc before deleted the Hp recovery partion and left the other files on the second hard drive
but then he formatted the second HDD,dont ask me why lol
so now there is no HP rescue and no windows files only whats on the C: drive now,
i dont know how its still booting up lol.

pat2068 21:06 06 Jul 05

what is the model of the hp machine i have a hp pavilion 491 uk and have the 5 restore disks from hp that i have never used if these would be any good you can have then leo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…