HP Pavilion ze4800 wireless problem

cyberphobic 20:08 31 Dec 09

I owned a ZE4800 a couple of years ago and was always very pleased with it, so when a friend asked me to obtain a laptop for her I bought another one. However it has an ongoing problem with it's wireless capability which I cannot solve, so all suggestions gratefully accepted! It was supplied with no internal wifi card so I used a PCMCIA card which I had, but although it connected, the performance was very poor and the connection kept dropping. I have used the same cards on many occasions with lower spec laptops and they have aleays worked fine. So I tried a diffrenet model PCMCIA card and then another but still no better. I then ordered an internal wifi card (yes the correcr model) but it was still no better and then in a final desperate throw of the dice yet another one but I still cannot get it to work properly. If the laptop is next to my modem router the signal strength is low. It goes without saying that my wireless network operates faultlessly with all other laptops! I am completely stumped can anyone help please?

GaT7 17:09 01 Jan 10

That is indeed a strange one when the PCMCIA card or even an internal replacement card did not work too well either.

I was going to suggest a plug-in USB one, but I'm not sure it's going to be any different. Anyway, here a few to choose from staring at £8 click here if you'd like to give it a try. G

cyberphobic 18:03 02 Jan 10

Hi Thanks for your helpful response, I just happened to have a USB wirelss stick kicking around, so out of idle curiosity, I installed it and of course it works perfectly! So it's a good thing that I have now solved the problem, but it was such a strange problem that I would like to have known what the solution was! Thanks again - will now mark as resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced