HP pavilion motherboard

Graham ® 20:52 04 Dec 04

Opening up my Pavilion 750 UK case, I noticed a heat sink had fallen off the motherboard. I could only find one clip, and one of the 4 posts for clips appears to be missing.

The clip I found is a dog-leg shape, and I can't figure out how it fits.

I don't even know what the device is, it's not the CPU and not graphics.

The only picture I can find is

click here

The device is in the the centre, the CPU on the left.

So my questions are: what is the device, and can I secure it just with heat sink 'glue'?

hugh-265156 01:03 05 Dec 04

the heatsink in the centre of this picture is (if you rotate this 45 degrees to the right its how its positioned in your case)

is part of your motherboard chipset and is the 'northbridge' chip.

most northbridge heatsinks i have seen attach via two plastic pins at both sides of the heatsink that push through the motherboard.there is always some form of thermal gloop or pad between the base of the heatsink and the chip.

i am guessing as yours fell off it was attached with some form of thermal tape maybe (like double sided tape only has thermal properties similar to the gloop but sticky) this can be purchased quite easily or thermal glue if you are really sure you want it to be permanent.

Graham ® 14:35 05 Dec 04

Thanks for the info. I'll get some thermal tape or paste tomorrow, as PCWorld haven't any in stock! Meanwhile the case is on its side.

I don't think the clip I found is part of this heatsink, here's a picture if any one can recognise it:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…