//some 3rd party need geo

hp pavilion m703 monitor picture distortion

g0slp 14:28 10 Oct 04

The monitor on my computer (about 18 months old)has developed the following problem.

The vertical sides start bowing in over a period of time, usually a few minutes. Briefly switching off the monitor and switching it off again clears the fault for a while. The distortion is particularly bad when the monitor reactivates after shutting itself down via power-saving.

My first thought is that it's the monitor starting to fail, my logic being that if it was a driver problem then switching off & on again without touching the computer mouse or keyboard would have no effect.

Before I hunt out my warranty paperwork, any thoughts on this by forum members would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mark

Diodorus Siculus 14:32 10 Oct 04

There should be a degauss option somewhere on the on screen display. Give it a go and see if it helps.

click here for what it does.

g0slp 14:37 10 Oct 04

That was a fast response! Thanks, DS, but unfortunately I've tried that & it has no effect.

In hindsight, I should have said that in my original post.

Mark

g0slp 00:33 12 Oct 04

No other thoughts from fellow forum members?

I'll post back if/when there's any news

Regards

Mark

Valvegrid 06:42 12 Oct 04

Hi Mark,

If it was a gaussing problem you usually get a colour shift in one or more of the corners of the screen. Just one question at the moment, does the distortion change as the brightness control is varied? If it does, it could be a problem with the tube, yes I know its fairly new, but it can happen.

Paul G4LNA.

g0slp 07:22 12 Oct 04

Hello Paul.

Nice to hear from you.

I've tried your suggestion, also with the contrast, but to no effect. Thanks anyway.

All the best

Mark

g0slp 10:43 09 Nov 04

Well, I've not done anything about this problem yet, but here's some more information which has come to light.

The picture now doesn't deform when the system starts up, nor from screensaver mode. However, if the computer's powered itself down in 'power saving' mode, then the distortion appears. It's still cleared by switching the monitor off & back on again.

I've found out that there wasn't an extended warranty taken out on the system, which is 20 months old now. (Mrs g0slp bought the system; I was away at sea).

Any fresh thoughts on the monitor problem would be appreciated.

Gongoozler 10:53 09 Nov 04

Hi g0slp. If the monitor resolution and refresh rate are within the parameters specified by the makers, then I'm afraid there is nothing more you can do. 18 months is not a reasonable lifetime for a monitor, so you can try claiming from the makers for a repair under the terms of the Sale of Goods act. Otherwise you will probably need to be looking for a new monitor. The CTX EX701F is a totally flat faced CRT monitor for £78.72 inc VAT click here.

Philwane 10:59 09 Nov 04

Just a thought
if you have speakers close to the monitor try moving them further away

g0slp 11:01 09 Nov 04

Thanks Gongoozler. That's what I thought.

Regards
Mark

g0slp 11:47 09 Nov 04

Thanks for your post.

The speakers are actually attached to the monitor by design, but in any event are away from the distortion area. Moving them made no difference :-((

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…