hp pavilion laptop

james66 15:42 13 Feb 09

Hi All
Have got a major problem with my laptop .It's a HP pavilion dv9000.
What happened was when it was booting up into windows i moved the laptop and the battery dropped out(not in properly after swapping packs !!Doh
Now It wont boot in to windows., message "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corupted" windows\system32\config\system.going through the press "r" to recover doesn't work .
Anyway after going into Bios Diagnostics its saying my hard drive No1 is knackered!(it's got two identical 120gb drives) i have confirmed this by swapping the drives over and testing .
Because the recovery and opperating system are on drive No1 i'm snookered.
I have a windows XP disc from my old tower system ,can i load this on to the other drive and just use the widows key from the bottom of the laptop ? Plus reading on the internet i might encounter problems becausethe drives are SATA !!
Any help apreciated

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:51 13 Feb 09

Restore XP

Boot to the command prompt and type:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press Enter and follow the on-screen prompts to restore to an earlier date/time

if will not boot to commamd prompt then:

Restore from recovery console

boot from the XP CD. Start Windows Setup and press R to access the recovery console. Select your Windows installation, then type the administrator password – press Enter if there isn't one.
Now enter the following commands:

CD C:\
CD "system volume information\_resto~1"
DIR

You'll see a list of restore point folders with names such as RP1, RP2 and so on. Pick the restore point you wish to use, using the folder date stamps to guide you. Enter the commands:

CD RPx (the restore point you chose)
CD SNAPSHOT

This takes you into the folder containing the restore point snapshot files. Copy the Registry backups so that they overwrite the existing Registry files.

COPY _Registry_machine_system C:\Windows\System32\Config\System
COPY _Registry_machine_software C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software
COPY _Registry_machine_sam C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam
COPY _Registry_machine_security C:\Windows\System32\Config\Security
COPY _Registry_user_.default C:\Windows\System32\Config\Default

Type the command exit to close the Recovery Console and restart the PC.

james66 15:56 13 Feb 09

Thanks for the reply Fruit bat but the recovery partition is on drive 1,along with windows .Don't think i will be able to boot to command promt . if you think it can can you run it through me thanks .

PO79 15:59 13 Feb 09

Have you tried pressing F10 at start up and running the setup utility that contains a programe to check the hard drives. Maybe just the OS is corrupt and not the drive.

james66 16:01 13 Feb 09

Tried to boot to command promt and it just displays "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt "
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

james66 16:05 13 Feb 09

Have ran the diagnostic tool from the Bios and it's saying hard drive No1 fails Hard drive No2 passes .Thats why i was wondering if i can just reload XP on to this drive, after swapping it into bay 1 . . the only thing is the disc came with my tower system allthough the laptop has a license key on the bottom .

Newuser939 16:14 13 Feb 09

I too have the dv9000 and my recollection is that the first time you use it, it nags you to burn a couple of recovery discs for exactly this eventuality. Might you, therefore, have a couple of "home made" recovery discs lying about?

james66 16:30 13 Feb 09

Nope ,i cant remember it asking to burn some disks,it only allows you to make a recovery partition on the hard drive as far as i can recall

james66 16:34 13 Feb 09

Newuser939 Do you have a copy of any recovery disc's ?
If so any chance of copying them and e-mailing them ?

Newuser939 16:39 13 Feb 09

Far too big to email (2 full CD's) but I think that you should be able to get a set from click here

james66 16:46 13 Feb 09

Thanks ,will they have the full operating system on to put on a new drive. Because it's looking like a hard drive fault

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now