HP Pavilion dv2000 Notebook PC

TonyV 10:20 15 Feb 07

A pal of mine has just bought one of the above and is anxious to get it set up for the Internet. At home he has a broadband connection on his desktop pc, so presumably, using the same connection facility, he could connect in a straight forward way. But, he wants to be able to collect his e mails whilst away from home and will then, presumably, require a router to get the wireless facility functioning. (The laptop has the wireless facility built in I think, least ways there is a wireless switch on the front of the laptop.

Is there anything anyone can tell me about setting the laptop to connect/receive wirelessly? And what extra equipment will he have to buy? (I hasten to add that I have have never dealt with this sort of facility, I have only ever used straight forward dialup style connections which is pretty simple to set up a connection with.)

Many thanks

TonyV

Strawballs 12:34 15 Feb 07

He will need a router if he has cable or a modem/router if his internet is via a phone line

click here will explain the setup and security, it also saves me a lot of typing.

TonyV 19:11 15 Feb 07

Thanks for that link. I have now forwarded it to my pal and hopefully he will be able to do something with it. In point of fact, he will be going to John Lewis tomorrow and will be asking them to set it for him. He did, after all, buy it from them!

Incidentally, sorry I have not been back sooner, but I think BT must have been down this afternoon since I have only just this minute managed to get connected again.

Thanks

Cheers

TonyV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017