HP Officejet 6200 - setting as Default printer.

Sandyba 20:38 25 Feb 07

I use a laptop at work with an HP Officejet 6213 All-in-One printer/fax/scanner/copier. I recently bought an HP Officejet 6313 (the updated version of the 6213) for use at home. As the drivers are different, I've loaded the 6300 drivers as well as the 6200 drivers. As 90% of my printing is done at the office I want the 6213 to be the default printer on my laptop. Despite setting the 6213 as my defult printer, the system re-sets the 6313 machine as the default printer every time I turn on my laptop. How can I set the 6213 printer as the default printer so that it stays that way. I have tried HP customer support and they can't give me an answer. Any advice would be appreciated. Sandy

Technotiger 20:39 25 Feb 07

Hi, how have you been setting your preferred printer as the Default?

The normal way is via Control Panel>Printers and Faxes.

Sandyba 16:07 09 Mar 07

Hi technotiger, thanks for the response. Apologies for the delay in responding but i've been away. Yes I have been setting the default printer via the control panel as one normally does. However every time I shut down the laptop, when I switch on again it resets the 6313 printer as the default. It appears that the HP driver software automatically sets the most up-to-date machine as the default. Even HP don't seem to know what to do. They've suggested altering an ".exe" file in the printer driver, but I'm a techno-peasant and that stuff scares me. I'd appreciate any bright ideas you may have to fix the problem.

Technotiger 16:32 09 Mar 07

Hmm, in view of the fact that HP don't seem to know, it does look as if it is something you may have to 'live with' - after all, it only takes a few seconds to set either printer as the Default, just a few mouse clicks. Maybe not the best answer, but at least it would work, and you would be able to print at home or at work.

Sandyba 21:09 11 Mar 07

That's what I've been doing for the past 6 weeks and it is a real ball ache - especially when I'm in a hurry, hit the print button and nothing happens - then suddenly remember that I have to change the printer settings. Then when I get home and swith on my laptop the bluetooth automatically makes connection with my 6300 printer, and then all the print files that have erroneously been sent to the 6300 during the day suddenly start printing. Then its jump up, switch off the printer, go into the printer file, delete all the jobs in the 6300 print queue, and switch on the printer again. It gets tedious. You'd think that part of HP's strategy would be to get customers to buy multiple products from them and that they would have an easy solution to this problem. This is a good reason to have two HP printers - buy an Epson instead.

Technotiger 07:25 12 Mar 07

Yeah, mine is an Epson! Sorry I could not be of more help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…