HP LaserJet 5MP paper loading problems

Gaz W 21:25 03 Oct 03

The above printer is failing to load the paper from Tray 1 (Multipurpose Tray) or Tray 2 (Paper Cassette) - it seems as if the roller isn't tight enough or something. It takes the paper in slightly, but then it stops. I have tried to see if it can be tightened in any way but I don't know how to get into it.

I unscrewed all of the screws I could get to but it seemed to have no effect!

Any ideas?

PSF 22:50 03 Oct 03

click here

Have you looked at the HP site above.

Gaz W 23:18 03 Oct 03

Thanks for your link. The solutions provided all seem to lay the blame with the paper. Admittedly, the printer inside is filthy but I can't see how it can be stopping the paper going through at all. I don't really know where to clean. As this is a printer someone has asked me to look at, I'm not familiar with it at all, so I don't really know where to start.

Like I said, I had a look but can't see any way to expose the mechanism for taking the paper in.

The fact that the printer is so bad would suggest that simply changing the paper isn't going to help. I haven't been able to print a single test page because it just won't take the paper in at all!

What I did notice is that sometimes it goes about 1cm into the roller and it is difficult to pull it back out, so it must be gripping the paper.

PSF 23:43 03 Oct 03

I have a HP 6l Laser-jet printer, there was a free mod kit to replace the paper separator as it was causing feed problems. The problem was the opposite, it would multi feed paper. It could be the separator has come loose inside stopping the paper feeding in. I think the % and 6 are very similar.

Gaz W 23:52 03 Oct 03

Maybe I should contact HP about it, or would they be bothered about it since it's such an old (?) printer?

Belatucadrus 00:14 04 Oct 03

I recently took an old HP670 out of storage and it was being a complete swine until I took a cloth and cleaning fluid and thoroughly cleaned the paper pick up rollers. Since then it's been as good as new.

Gaz W 00:14 04 Oct 03

I have read about that on various other forums, but I have noticed that it is for paper jamming problems or 2 sheets going through at once rather than it not taking in any pages at all.

What is the separator and how might I know if it's come loose? If so, can it be tightened/repaired?

PSF 00:15 04 Oct 03

It might be worth a try.
If they keep a customer happy he will come back next time.

click here The separator pad is not available for the 5l range.

Gaz W 00:16 04 Oct 03

I am going to have to clean this one, but the problem is I don't know which parts do what! Really it looks like the best way to clean it is to dismantle it and clean the individual parts, but I can't even work out how to take it apart!

Sir Radfordin 00:20 04 Oct 03

Don't know if you can get a Maintance kit for this printer if you can it may be worth getting hold of one. If the printer is as bad as you say it may be that it has never had one.

PSF 00:20 04 Oct 03

The last link I posted shows yo the pad.
Have you tried cleaning the rollers with Isopropal alcohol as Belatucadrus sugested.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…