HP Laserjet 5 Color drivers for XP

paranomia 18:28 17 Sep 03

I have searched the archives and found lots of problems with older printers and XP, but none using the HP Laserjet 5 Color. I have tried to get this to work with no joy at all. Looking at the HP site the help given was totally confusing! I will be setting it up to use the lan printer server soon but I would like to use it with my laptop via lpt1.

Anyone successfully got one of these dinosaurs to work with XP?

mark500 19:16 17 Sep 03

click here This is the easy to understand page for drivers. Just click on your printer model and download what you want.

paranomia 20:23 17 Sep 03

Thanks Mark500, unfortunately this page deals with the mono laser printers, mine is the old "size of an average garden shed" colour version. I have found this page click here
but although it says the driver will work in a fashion, I just get a pile of junk over several pages. Works fine with Win98Se, just not with XP

mark500 21:52 17 Sep 03

click here Laserjet 5L Driver.

click here Huge list of HP drivers.

You have to register free but it is well worth it. I get all the drivers i need from here (not just printers).

paranomia 07:46 18 Sep 03

This is a very good resource and I have used it on occasion but the listed driver for the HP laserjet Color 5 is the same as that shipped with XP - and it doesn't work.

By the way the Laserjet 5 series of printers are not the same as the Laserjet Color 5 printers - that was my mistake when I went to collect my printer. Having used an LJ5M at work I expected a small desktop printer but ended up taking home a machine which took 2 of us to lift and filled the boot of a Ford Mondeo!!

Thanks for your help anyway Mark500.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…