HP Laptop query

tonyt1151 20:23 31 Mar 08

I have just bought this laptop
click here
The specs say it has a Firewire capabilities with an IEEE1394 Firewire interface. My problem is that there is no firewire port for me to connect a video camera to. I have tried contacting HP support with little success. They said to connect using one of the USB ports which doesn't sound right.

woodchip 20:29 31 Mar 08

Think you will find that your IEEE1394 refers to Wireless connection on your Laptop not Firewire Port. If you do not have Firewire my HP 510 is the same I have a PCMCIA Firewire Card that goes in the slot

johndrew 20:30 31 Mar 08

Both the seller (Tesco) and the manufacturer HP specify a firewire interface click here and if the unit does not have one then you should have recourse to go back to the seller for a refund. Also distance selling regulations should apply if you bought online.

woodchip 20:35 31 Mar 08

Just looked at the link, so it look's like they got it wrong, As Firewire port is easy to see, when there is one

tonyt1151 20:42 31 Mar 08

Thanks johndrew I have already checked the hp tech. info pages. Looking on the product manual pages there is no mention of a port so I am starting to think maybe they are misadvertising this product. I will try HP tech support again. Apart from this problem I am pleased with the laptop which I thought was quite good VFM

woodchip 21:42 31 Mar 08

HP are also very quick and god with support. I can verfy

Strawballs 22:18 31 Mar 08

I am also very pleased with HP service, I have a Pavillion zv5000 and it is coming up to the end of it's warranty and I was having some trouble with the charging so I got in contact with them and they sent a courier round for it and when it came back not onlyu did they replace the MoBo to correct the charging problem they had also changed the CPU, card reader, DVD burner, DVD bezel, touch pad and the lid hinges as they said these also needed doing and it came back via courier as well.

woodchip 22:29 31 Mar 08

I contacted them when I got my HP Laptop about extended Warranty, They said that you can still take it out if the computer is still OK at near the end of the twelve months. before the twelve months runs out

Strawballs 22:31 31 Mar 08

This was at the end of a 3yr warranty

skidzy 22:41 31 Mar 08

Wow thats what i call service :-)

Tony
Everything ive found regarding your lappy states it SHOULD have a firewire port,thats even from the HP Website.
click here

Unless its an oversight by yourself that you cannot see the port,i would be taking the machine back.

woodchip 22:44 31 Mar 08

Hi skidzy

Off to bed shortly, I will be getting up early to do me shopping at Morrisons

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced