//some 3rd party need geo

hp laptop limited network connection

I have connected my hp pavilion dv 5094ea to my home network but cannot connect to the internet and was getting a limited/no connectivity message, this was resolved when i manually assigned ip address/default gateway/dns server etc, but i can still not access the internet.
I have a netgear dg834g router hard wired to my pc (windows xp home)and connect to the internet via AOL 9 platinum.
When setting up the network, using the supplied netgear software on my pc, I followed all the instructions but i can stil not connect to the internet on my laptop. Any ideas welcomed.

mgmcc 22:33 12 May 06

The problem with manually assigning addresses is that it can hide the fact that adapter and router are not actually communicating properly.

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

I have run the adaptors software, highlighted and connected to the network, but still do not get an assigned IP address and continue to get the limited/no connectivity message and cannot connect to the internet. Cheers.

ade.h 15:17 13 May 06

I have an HP nx-series notebook and it does not have any wireless software other than the entirely optional HP Wireless Assistant, which is primarily there to control the wireless switch and Bluetooth service. Could you confirm what model of internal adapter it has? Are you, by any chance, using Intel ProSet software? If so, you don't need to and you would perhaps be better off without it, as it's said to be a bit resource heavy. Windows can handle it on its own and is likely to be happier that way.

The laptop has the following network adaptors installed:
1.Broadcom 802.11b/g wlan.
2.Realtek RTL 8139 (ethernet).
3.1394 net adaptor.
4.PPPoEWin miniport.

I am attempting to connect wirelessly to the internet using the broadcom adaptor and although i can connect to my network i cannot connect to the internet. I am not using Intel ProSet software. I realise that I must be doing something wrong but do not know what that is, or what else I need to do to connect.Cheers.

ade.h 22:21 13 May 06

To save me typing it out again, have a look at this thread with a similar issue click here and read through my third post there. See if that matches what you have been doing.

Interesting that you have a Broadcom chip rather than Intel. Not relevant to your problem though, as far I am aware.

Very similar, but when I have clicked "refresh network list" my SSID appears but when I then clicked connect it does actually connect but shows a "limited or no connectivity" icon.
When I check the connection status it appears that my network did not assign a network address to the laptop. Cheers

mgmcc 07:54 14 May 06

Is the "wired" PC getting its address automatically by DHCP from the router, or does it have a fixed IP address with perhaps the router's DHCP server disabled?

The "wired" PC is getting its IP address automatically assigned by DHCP.

I have solved the problem. I appears that I made a basic mistake and entered my network key incorrectly. I would like to thank all for their time and their advice in helping me to resolve the issue of limited connectivity. Cheers.

ade.h 15:26 15 May 06

Please tick as resolved. Thanks.

Glad you got it sorted anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…