HP Laptop hard to switch on,it switches off

prince midas 10:25 16 Sep 09

My HP Laptop which is now 6 months old as always been difficult to switch on.
When I press rhe On power button I must hold it down for approx 6 secs.If I hold it down for 7 or 8 secs it swiches off.
If I old it down for 5 or less secs it switches off.Obviously the times are approx so I just count 1,2,3,4,5.6 and let go.It is a pain but is this a fault or just an accepted bug on the laptop.Should I live with it or send it back for repair which seems a drag.Comments please.

birdface 11:12 16 Sep 09

It is still under warranty i would take it back for repair.
My granddaughter had problems with keys falling off of her laptop and they came and collected it and it was back within 5 days.Obviously your problems may take a bit longer, but no use putting up with your problem when you can get it fixed.

mooly 11:38 16 Sep 09

If it's a case of just holding the button, and you are not physically pressing the switch and PCB (thinking intermitant connection, broken print etc) then it souunds like a software problem... BIOS maybe. Perhaps check with HP, sure they must have some online support available.

prince midas 13:47 17 Sep 09

HP have sent me a new Bios update which appears to work.

mooly 17:25 17 Sep 09

Excellent :)

woodchip 17:43 17 Sep 09

Have you been in touch with HP? I have a HP Laptop and don't think you could find any firm as helpful

woodchip 17:45 17 Sep 09

Starting is controlled by the BIOS and motherboard, So it could be a faulty board

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now