Hp laptop dvd drive, uses up all resources burning

wky 16:33 30 Jun 06

Hi, hope someone can help, as my title suggests the ma*!@:a drive on my hp nx6125 uses up 99% of resources when burning a disk, when burning a cd it takes 20 minutes, but a dvd it takes over an hour. It didn't used to do this, and I don't know why it suddenly happened. I use NERO Ultra software but I also use Sonic Software which came with the laptop, but they both use up all the resources, so I'm not sure it's a software problem but maybe firmware? or driver problem? Can anyone help. Thanks in advance.

wky 16:51 30 Jun 06

lol oh my god, they blocked out the name of the drive, it's mats hita.

ade.h 17:14 30 Jun 06

Yes, it could well be a driver issue. Unlikely to be firmware as this would probably not suddenly go wrong having previously worked. It could be the speed of the drive - does Nero still have a drive speed checker?

And let me just try to type the brand name:

Matshita.

ade.h 17:15 30 Jun 06

Worked fine; obviously not blocked, wky!

wky 17:15 30 Jun 06

:O your matshita worked, maybe because I spelt it wrong in the previous post, missed the t. What is the drive speed checker? thanks/.

ade.h 17:37 30 Jun 06

I think it was called Nero Drivespeed and it was in the Nero folder on the Start Menu. (circa 2002 though!)

wky 17:39 30 Jun 06

well not sure what drivespeed does, it's set to maximum speed.

ade.h 17:40 30 Jun 06

LOL. You've just found out what it does; it checks the max speed of your drive.

wky 17:47 30 Jun 06

lol. well any other suggestions? I'm going to try and remove nero and see if that works.

ade.h 18:02 30 Jun 06

I'm inclined to agree that it's not software related, given that you've used both Nero and Sonic (I've never had any issues with either of them). The Windows IMAPI CD burning service might be involved, but I think that's only used when burning without any 3rd-party software.

I would try uninstalling the drive and see if that helps. Download the latest driver from the HP website (not Matshita's site) just to be sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…