Hp laptop cant see router

wobbler 11:42 23 Jul 09

I have 2 laptops, one a sony and one an HP. I also have a Belkin wireless router. The Sony can see my router and a couple of other local routers and works fine. The problem is the HP running Vista home cannot see the local Belkin router but can see the other routers . Any help appreciated.

mooly 12:00 23 Jul 09

Is the router set to "hide" it's SSID identifier.
click here
this may help and there are links to follow.

woodchip 12:41 23 Jul 09

As above you need to go into your router setup page and check settings under Wireless. It may be also be that you have not created a connection with the Encryption key in the Laptop. is Wireless turned on in the Laptop?

wobbler 12:59 23 Jul 09

Thanks. Yes SSID is being broadcast, the wireless is turned on the laptop and cant get as far as encryption as I cant see the router

woodchip 17:27 23 Jul 09

have you tried simply turn the router of for five minutes then turn it back on

mooly 18:48 23 Jul 09

Is it worth accessing the router from the other laptop and changing the channel it broadcasts on. No logical reason for saying that, but it's something I would try.
Different standards A/G/N. Are they all backwards compatible ? I'm not sure ! think so.
Drastic measures, uninstall the wireless card via device manager and reboot and then let Windows pick it up again and it will reinstall the driver etc.

woodchip 21:53 23 Jul 09

anything is worth a go

wobbler 09:25 24 Jul 09

Thankyou for all your comments, I tried them all and the one that seeems to have worked is changing the channel on the router from auto to 9. Not sure why this worked but who cares!1

mooly 11:23 24 Jul 09

That's good :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…