HP laptop battery even drained shows always 100%

neelakantanr 13:08 23 Jul 07

hi guys!
i have a 2004-bought compaq presario 2111AP laptop; it is not now under warranty; it was working ok till lastweek except that the battery (the second one after the first has conked a year back) lasts about 30 min only;

lastweek when keeping the laptop on the ground from the chair i accidently twisted the L-shaped dc-in connector of the power brick; after some wriggling it started working again but failed repeatedly to go to main power; i found the male dc-in jack in motherboard is loose; when i contacted the local hp service (in mumbai, india), they suggested replacing the motherboard as they dont work on the individual components and also as the laptop is not under warranty.

i decided to do the repair myself (there are 100s of posts on compaq power jack resoldering!); i opened the laptop, removed the motherboard and soldered the +ve and ground pins firmly; when i put the main powers, i checked the votage across the battery pins to check the power is coming.

when i reassembled the unit, the machine started beautifully on mains without battery; BUT THERE WAS A PROBLEM, the mouse pad or the front lights didnot come on; so i re-opened the same, checked the strip connecting the touchpad to the mother board; its metallic traces at the edge appeared frayed and continuity test across the strip failed for some of the traces; i snipped off the edge peeled off the wait plastic cover further one-cm; checked the continuity -it was ok and re assembled the unit; now the unit is working with mousepad, I/O and HDD lights on; HOWEVER THE AMBER LIGHT ON THE LIGHTENING LED FOR MAINS POWER is not on; when i checked on the windows sys tray, it shows charging;

when i removed the mains, the sys tray indicator changed to battery and showed 100% ; but it NEVER CAME DOWN, until the battery drained the laptop went to hibernation;

with laptop on battery, it shows 100% all the time, and also 23:44 hours remaining! i thot the problem is with the battery; with battery removed, and mains on, the amber light should be on and blinking; but it is not the case

any body has any ideas? any testing procedure?, any way to test if the LED is working?

suggestions and advices are welcome and wanted
regards
neelakantan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…