HP iPAQ rz1710 software and active sync

Piggles 19:24 PM 07 May 13

I have an elderly HP iPAQ rz1710 which was originally purchased to run TomTom satnav amongst other things.

I recently decided I would like to resurrect it after many years of neglect but alas my Windows 7 does not recognise it and there does not seem to be an active sync which is compatible with both the iPAQ rz1710 and Windows 7.

I wonder if anyone can tell me if it is possible to run and link and synchronise the iPAQ rz1710 with Windows 7 and if so how I do it.

It was an extremely expensice commodity at the time of purchase and it would be nice to make use of it again. I would just like to use it as a Pocket PC and would not be using TomTom.

Can anyone please help.

Woolwell 22:31 PM 07 May 13

I suspect that it may not be compatible. Active sync went with XP and is replaced with Windows Mobile Device Centre MS Download.

Piggles 22:37 PM 07 May 13

Thanks for you response Woolwell - that download states " The Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 is only supported on Windows Vista." - not Windows 7.

Woolwell 22:48 PM 07 May 13

Sorry I was thinking Vista which was when I last tried to get an old pda to work.

Piggles 12:16 PM 08 May 13

After "chatting" on-line for over an hour with HP support I was advised that the iPAQ rz1710 is not compatible with Windows 7!

Piggles 12:26 PM 08 May 13

It does not seem to work with Vista either

rdave13 12:54 PM 08 May 13

Have a look here, http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/50159-36-sync-ipaq-windows

changing to 'USB Serial Sync Mode' if you have it on your model.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 review: Hands-on with the new generation of Surface

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Crowdfunding for world’s first 3D camera-computer found in 30 hours

2015 iMac release date rumours, specs, price & features: new 21in 4K Retina iMacs coming next week