HP Homepage hijacking

bounce75 17:18 12 Feb 05

Hi I hope somebody can help me. I have just bought a hp nx9020 laptop & every time I go online it goes straight to hp usa. I have tried resetting homepage to google but everytime I restart it goes to hp. I have run adaware, still no joy. Thanks Steve.

VoG II 17:23 12 Feb 05

Use StartPage Guard click here to lock it to Google.

bounce75 17:29 12 Feb 05

Downloaded that last night sometimes it works sometimes not. Keeps resetting to click here

FelixTCat 17:42 12 Feb 05

Go to c:\program files\internet explorer. Is there a directory called Custom?

If there is, rename it to Custom1. Does this help?

Sometimes companies put all sorts of branding information there.

bounce75 19:02 12 Feb 05

No there is nothing there.

FelixTCat 19:08 12 Feb 05

Next time this happens, highlight the "home" page that comes up and copy it (Ctrl C)

Open regedit, go to Edit - Find and paste (Ctrl V) the URL into the "Find what:" box and hit Find Next.

That will tell you whether it is a registry entry. If it finds an entry, note where it is and hit F3 Find next). Continue until it has reached the end of the registry. Let us know if it finds anything.

Unless you are really confident about what you are doing, don't make any changes yet.

bounce75 10:30 13 Feb 05

Hi, I done that it found- BRANDURL REG_SZ http:click here & SUPPORTUUL REG_SZ http:click here.

FelixTCat 13:43 13 Feb 05

If you really don't want to see signs of HP again, you can get rid of these, but you must be careful.

First of all, create ab system restore point:

Click Start, and then click Help and Support. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Using System Restore to undo changes, and then click Run the System Restore Wizard. To view or to return to this restore point, from the Welcome to System Restore screen of the System Restore Wizard select Restore my computer to an earlier time. Then select the date when the restore point was created from the calendar in the Select a Restore Point screen. All of the restore points that were created on the selected date are listed by name in the list box to the right of the calendar.

Next,back up the whole registry:

Regedit - File - Export tick the All button and save

Then go to the first branch, highlight it and save it as before, but using the Selected branch button. Now go to Edit - Modify and delete the web address relating to HP.

Repeart this for the second branch, then exit regedit.

You may have to reboot to see the changes.

I have given you a whole belt-and-braces process for making changes to the registry. If anything goes wrong and XP won't boot, it will give you the option of using the last known good registry setting, which you will have just created. If for any reason you want to restore the two hp references, you have those. The complete registry backup is in case you change the wrong setting - you can restore everything and try again.

bounce75 16:59 13 Feb 05

Just tried that but it has not worked. Still going back to hp.com

bounce75 17:53 13 Feb 05

If I go into tools, internet options, use default it always goes back to click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…