HP G7000 not switching on or charging.

I have an HPG7000 laptop which only switches on for a few seconds and then dies.

The power socket lights blue when the adapter is plugged in, but there is no LED lit to show the battery is charging. I think the battery is faulty but somebody told me that the laptop should work from the charger if the battery is removed. Thus proving the battery one way or another. Is this correct?

I see on other forums that the socket could be faulty but another assumption (by me) is that it would be intermittent.

So my choices are, a new charger, a new battery or dismantling the machine to check the socket.
Two expensive and one labourious.

Anybody seen this before?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:50 02 Nov 10

1. Turn off the computer,
2. Take the battery out
3. Take out the power supply
4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
5. Reconnect power supply

retry to boot.

Thanks for that Fruit Bat but no joy. I have kept trying and have found the following.

1. The computer started up without the battery when I got home.

2. I was able to start it in safe mode, but when I opened an application (AVG) it died immediately.

3. It won't start in safe mode any more but does boot up to various stages. eg I can get to the F8 menu but no further, no matter which selection I make.

I'm starting to think the HDD is faulty. Any views.

Also, the power supply is ok. I've tested it with a meter.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:08 02 Nov 10

Op system?
XP?

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Its vista. No cd. I think HP partition the HDD with a recovery part, but I cant get there.

I have no problem wiping the HD if I could get that far.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:27 02 Nov 10

HP/Compaq laptops.
1. Reboot, and repeatedly press F10 (F11) at the HP logo until the recovery screen appears.
2. When the recovery screen appears, press "Next" and then "Yes" to perform a non-destructive recovery.
3. To perform a destructive recovery, click "Advanced" and then "Yes".
4. After the recovery is finished, the laptop will reboot.

Got as far as about 4/5% of recovery and it died. Getting frustrated now and giving up for the night. Thanks for your help so far.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:29 02 Nov 10

May be overheating try using a vacuum cleaner to suck out all the fluff and muck from the grills

woodchip 22:33 02 Nov 10

F11 for recovery F10 takes you to BIOS setup

woodchip 22:34 02 Nov 10

F11 will only work if a Backup was made when the Laptop was new either to a DVD or to the Hard Drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant