HP Embedded Security Device

tintinuk67 08:58 02 May 14

I've just bought an HP 6200 Pro & in the bios there is a section that says Embedded Security Device, with the option of Hidden or Available. What does this do & what are the outcomes of the options?

Ian in Northampton 10:00 02 May 14

If it's anything like my Dell laptop at work, it will require you to enter a password just for the PC to boot. That way, should it get stolen, it will be useless to whoever steals it - and your files should remain safe from prying eyes. However, Googling it, it seems that it may do more than that.

tintinuk67 10:38 02 May 14

I can get into the bios without a password ok, just wondered how the Hidden or Available options affect the system.

Ian in Northampton 11:58 02 May 14

Presumably, hidden means "I don't want to use" and 'available means "I do want to use" - so perhaps if you selected the latter, it would ask you to set a BIOS password. Hopefully, others will be along who know more - I'd hate for you to make a brick of it on my input...

chub_tor 12:22 02 May 14
  Ian in Northampton 12:40 02 May 14

chub_tor: sad git that I am, I actually read that just out of interest... :-( It's pretty much as I expected, but with additional bells and whistles.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…