HP dvd840i dvd writer problem

Bruz 18:27 27 Feb 06

My Hp dvd840i dvd lightscribe writer will not read a commercial dual layer dvd. Also when the dvd is in the drive Xp pro sp2 reports that the drive is a dvd-ram drive.
Any Ideas.

Bruz

recap 18:40 27 Feb 06

Check your Device Manager for any errors.

You could also check the Event Log, if you are using W2000 or XP.

Bruz 22:28 27 Feb 06

Thanks recap for your input but the event log shows HP dvd480b as dvdrom drive as well.
Bruz

Hertz Van Rentyl 09:08 28 Feb 06

Mine shows as a DVD Ram as well, not to worry. Have you got the autoplay set up to enable the film to play in whatever player you have.

Bruz 17:10 28 Feb 06

Thank you Hertz for your input, I have tried everything and I am beginning to believe that it is just one one of those dvd disks that only plays in certain drives. It plays in a cheep dvd player and a Lite on dual layer writer. I copied it and the copy plays, so I will put it down to experience and move on. Thanks to you all for your help.
Cheers Bruz

Bruz 22:18 10 Mar 06

Further to my last posting, I purchased a liteon combo drive to replace my old cd re-writer. To my complete surprise it also fails to read dual layer dvds most of the time. I have used several commercial dvds and it happens with them all. I tried copied ones and for the most part it is still the same, both drives read them when they want to. I have to eject and replace the dvds over and over again before they boot up.
If I put a 4.7 gig in the response is instant but dual layer the drives just do not want to know about.
Anyone got any ideas?
Bruz

Hertz Van Rentyl 00:13 11 Mar 06

What burning software do you have?

Bruz 07:06 11 Mar 06

Nero and I use powerdvd 6 to play the dvds.

Hertz Van Rentyl 13:12 11 Mar 06

I am not saying that your problems might be associated with the mix of PowerDVD and Nero, all I can say is that when I first got my new computer I found that by removing PowerDVD not using Nero InCD,easy write reader and Nero media player things ran a lot smoother. Of course I am sure there are many people running all this stuff quite happily but a bit of tinkering may show up something. Have you associated a video player in the autoplay tab on the drive as you have a choice. (Assuming you have Show Time)

Bruz 17:22 11 Mar 06

I have not installed Nero InCd and I never use media player, I tried to associate Powerdvd in autoplay and it made no difference, so I set it to ask me to select a program when the disk booted up but the disk very rarely boots up.
I will change all my media settings to powerdvd and see if that alters any thing.
Thanks for your input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…