Is the HP DV9341 laptop for me?

shaduf 21:52 22 Jun 07

I have a selfbuilt Asus Pundit computer with a Pentium 4 - 300ghz processor and ATI Radeon 9100 IGP on board graphics built nearly 3 years ago.

It has 1 GB DDR SDRAM and plenty of Hard Drive capacity and runs XP very well.

For some time I have rather fancied a laptop and have now almost decided to replace the ASUS with a HP Media Centre Laptop which I shall use as a desktop machine and keep the ASUS as a backup.

My main interest is digital photography, video editing, music and net surfing. (No gaming)
I use a Samsung 26” HD TV as a monitor and the HP laptop has a HDMI output which would suit it well. I envisage using it with the Samsung and a USB keyboard/mouse whenever I was at my desk and occasionally detach it to use as a portable.

Obviously I don’t want to spend too much money, the laptop is £799 and that suits my budget but I would like some opinions as to whether the HP 9341 is a fairly well specified machine.
Brief Spec is:
AMD Turion 64x2 TL56
2 x 120GB SATA Hard Disks
17” WXGA Display
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 Graphics
1 GB DDR2 Memory (upgradeable to 2 GB)
Vista Home Premium

The ASUS is not easily upgradeable as there is little room for a better graphics card, or anything else for that matter. I don’t know how to compare the Graphics card and Processor in the HP with the ASUS and that is my basic difficulty. Are they a reasonable improvement?

Many thanks if you could enlighten me with your opinions.

J B 10:34 23 Jun 07

I don't know how much you want to fork out but here are a couple to look at click here and click here Depends on what you can get away with. The one that I have is the dv9340eu and I got it from John Lewis click here Good hunting. J.B.

shaduf 19:50 23 Jun 07

J B Thank you.

I am now looking at DV9292,9340,9341 and 9385.
So far, I think the 9341 is favourite but I need to study the detailed differences. Reviews are non too plentiful unfortunately.
I assume you are pleased with your HP 9340 or you would have said and like you I would like to purchase from John Lewis if possible but Micro Anvika seem a good bet.
Thanks again.
Shaduf

skidzy 20:42 23 Jun 07

Just to throw a spanner in the works click here you need to add the OS once the system is selected,with a change from your budget...how about using this towards an External Harddrive.

shaduf 21:02 23 Jun 07

Hi skidzy,
Well, not quite sure where this fits in my plans. It doesn't appear to have a HDMI output which I wanted to feed my Samsung 26" TV monitor.
Hard drives are not the issue. I have a Seagate 500GB Free Agent and a 500GB Media Drive and several smaller external drives, all used for video. Incidentally, I don't know where I got it from but I was under the impression that the HP Multi DVD writers could play DVD Ram discs but I can't find anything now that says they do. Presumably I could use an external DVD writer via USB?
Shaduf

J B 10:41 24 Jun 07

In reply to you, I do like the dv9340eu. I use mine for photography mainly and I find it more than adequate for the job. Haven't played around with much else yet except Office 2007 but as they say all in good time. J.B.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…