//some 3rd party need geo

hp deskjet red & black only

Mike_Rolls 17:29 24 Jun 06

My deskjet 96-c has suddenly stopped recognising any colour other than red and black. I assumed it was simply the cartridge running low so put in a nother one but the problem remains. I wondered if it was a computer proble but printing from my second computer (the two are networked) gave the same result.
The test print after inserting a new cartridge confirms that only red and black are printing.

Is there anything I can do? On my previous Epson there was a procedure for clearing blocked nozzles whihc sometimes occurred and looked very similar to what is happening here.
TIA
Mike

€dstowe 17:35 24 Jun 06

Remember that red is produced from magenta and yellow so the problem is with the cyan not working properly.

howard63 17:36 24 Jun 06

you should have a prog called toolbox or something like it. This should allow maintenance functions. How old is the printer I have an 840 which stopped picking up the paper and it turned out the waste ink bin was full. I did not even know they had a waste ink bin. Once cleaned out the printer works perfectly. Try looking on the hp site for their faqs which might list the problem.

DieSse 17:40 24 Jun 06

I presume you mean a 960c?

It may be ink on the contacts where the cartidge sits.

Take out the color catridge, and with a slightly damp cloth wipe the contacts which interface with the cartrige. Be very careful, as you don't want to bend or damage them.

Also - if it's a parallel cable, take it out and refit at both ends.

There's little point in head cleaning, as the new cartridge on a 960c has new heads in it anyway. HP heads basically don't get blocked.

Failing that it's likely an electronic or cable fault in the printer. If it's still under warranty that's not a problem - otherwise it is.

Mike_Rolls 06:56 25 Jun 06

Thanks for the quick replies, folk.

Yes - typo - the printer is a 960c - bought April 2002.
I've looked at the control panel [Printers' sections and can't find anything that seems to help.
Next step is to try refitting cable, etc.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Mike

Diodorus Siculus 09:03 25 Jun 06

How about in program files? With the Deskjet machines, when you install the software that comes with them, you get a lot of various tools installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…