HP Deskjet 960c no yellow even after new cartridge

Bob S 10:53 07 Apr 06

My deskjet 960c apparently ran out of yellow ink so I fitted a new cartridge. This made no difference so there must be a fault with the printer. Has anyone any ideas please.

Crunchy 11:20 07 Apr 06

Check the cartridge is correctly installed and the plastic protection strip was removed first. When satisfied run the clean procedure. Do not assume the cartridge is ok especially if it's a refill or non genuine. If still won't work try HP website for assistance.

961 12:05 07 Apr 06

Bet it's a faulty cartridge. Try rubbing the base with a damp tissue to see if you can get yellow to show. If not, return

Bob S 14:24 07 Apr 06

Thanks for your response. I've done many silly things in the past, but I didn't leave the plastic strip on! I've tried to find the cleaning procedure for this printer but can't find it in the manual or on line. Do you know it?

Bob S 14:25 07 Apr 06

Thanks for replying. I'll try the damp tissue job and tell you if it works.

Crunchy 12:29 10 Apr 06

Sorry to be too basic but very often it's the obvious that can cause the problem.

You should find the cleaning procedure in the properties of the printer.

In Xp

Click Start, then Printers and Faxes.
Click the desired printer icon to highlight it.
Click File and Properties.
Click the Services tab.
Click the desired task.

Bob S 16:23 11 Apr 06

Thanks for your continued help. Can't understand why I didn't find that - I thought I'd tried all the help windows! However, I've now cleaned and primed and still no yellow. Perhaps I'll take it up the ink people. If you've got a moment to read the following, this is an example of the obvious which escaped the notice of several people some years back.

I was installing a system at a company and one of the girls was complaining that her monitor kept doing peculiar things. I sat down next to her and told her to do whatver she was doing when this problem occured. She leant forward to take a document from her input tray to load the info and there was the answer - she was well-endowed above the waist and it wasn't her hands pressing the keys!

Stuartli 16:40 11 Apr 06

If it's a genuine HP cartridge it could well be faulty.

My best mate has an HP 890C and has twice had faulty genuine cartridges - both were replaced without quibble but, on the first occasion, it certainly caused some head scratching...

Crunchy 09:44 12 Apr 06

Maybe we should start a thread on experiences with user problems that test our sanity. How about this one?

The MD of a company I worked for got into the habit of clearing his desk every evening and placing the keyboard on top of the screen. One morning he claimed that when pressing the "H" key "R" appeared on the screen. Several other keys came up wrong too.

When replacing the keyboard I noticed that the keys on the old board were not in the right sequence. Apparantly the evening cleaner had knocked the keyboard off the screen and some of the keys had popped off. She replaced the keys (in the wrong order) and said nothing.

I'm sure there are plenty more like this.

Bob S 17:50 23 Apr 06

Sorry for the delay in replying but I've been over to France for ten days over Easter - too much food and wine!

The original cartridge was a genuine HP when it apparently ran out of yellow. I replaced it with a compatible. This too didn't print yellow so I am assuming that the printer is at fault though I can't see why.

Bob S 17:56 23 Apr 06

Sorry for the delay in replying but I've been over to France for ten days over Easter - too much food and wine, but no computers and that can only be good!

Your idea about a new thread sounds good. I have one about a financial director who tried to pull the print out of a dot-matrix printer to make it go faster as he was so impatient to see the result! Same company as my previous one about the boob problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac