HP Deskjet 950c

Yorkie 1 12:32 15 Jan 03
  Yorkie 1 12:32 15 Jan 03

Hi there you knowledgable folk!!! I have an HP deskjet 950c which has worked fine for over a year but now sometimes refuses to print. I can go through the procedure to print something out and it will get as far as showing the printer icon in the bottom right of the screen and opening the printer window it looks all set to print, but NOTHING comes out, or sometimes it will print part of the document or picture. At times this part printing is followed by gobbledegook.Also it thows up messages like the colour cartridge is not inserted correctly, whe I know it is. It might have just printed a perfect test page but still throw up that message. Shutting down and restarting the computer will usually clear the problem, but probably only for a short time. I know it may sound like a memory problem but I have 256k of memory which seems ample. I have tried installing an updated driver, only to find that it didn't work at all and I had to use system restore to get it working at all. Sorryit's long winded, but trying to explain the facts.

MAJ 12:38 15 Jan 03

It also sounds like a faulty cable/connection problem, Yorkie 1, have you tried a different cable?

TBH1 12:59 15 Jan 03

MAJ - - thats a good call, have a go at reconnecting cable.

sil_ver 13:09 15 Jan 03

Try this - Shut down and reboot, shutdown all running programmes via ctrl+alt+del except systray and explorer if you have a desktop theme and screensaver disable them.Now try to use your printer if it works OK then you have a memory/resources shortage. Do a defrag which will make your virtual memory allocation more contiguous. That it starts printing rubbish half way thru' suggests the printing info is running out of cache memory before it is completely stored. Having said that there is always the possibility your printer is on the blink.

doug 14:30 15 Jan 03

I have an HP 960 cix and did have similar problems. It was sorted by removing the old drivers and then re-installing. May work for you.

doug 14:36 15 Jan 03

I should have added that it works best to physically disconnect the printer the de-install. I actually did a defrag. then went through the printer installation as if for the first time. Sorry about that always used to do that at work. Answer a question then a few moments have additional thoughts about it and have to ring people up to amplify my original reply.

Yorkie 1 17:29 15 Jan 03

Thanks to all for the response, I'll work through and try it all out

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…