HP Deskjet 710C Printer Problem

weston 09:50 11 Jun 14

I have just aquired a Deskjet 710C inkjet printer. My computer runs XP Home. I can't get it to print.

When connected, the printer icon appears in the Control Panel Printers section but it will not print although the printer does all the usual preps first.

I don't have an XP original disc, only the OEM version that came with the computer.

It is connected via the USB port using the printers parallel port (no usb). I connected a parallel printer cable and tried using the OEM disc but it won't accept this when I run the setup wizard.

Has anyone any suggestions. I have tried the hp website and it doesn't supply a separate driver for this printer but says it is already included in XP.

Incidentally, I have the disc for installing the hp deskjet 3822 printer. would this supply the driver?

Many thanks.

David

mart7 10:44 11 Jun 14

The hp 710c driver can be found on the hp site

click here

mart7 10:47 11 Jun 14

My mistake as you say there isn't one for windows xp

Woolwell 10:57 11 Jun 14

The 710C is ancient. Was it working before you acquired it?

weston 09:48 12 Jun 14

Hi Woolwell

I was assured it would work with XP Home when I aquired the printer. As I said it appeared to install when connected (via a conversion cable parallel to usb connected to the parallel port of the printer.

It seems I need to get hold of an XP system disc as mine is OEM and won't be accepted by the wizard in Control Panel.

Mart7 first said the driver was available via hp. I tried again and did manage to download a small app and have yet to try. I am not hopeful.

Woolwell 10:01 12 Jun 14

According to the HP site the driver is built into XP so it should be as simple as just connecting it. But of course it isn't that simple. The problem could be parallel port/usb conversion.

SparkyJack 12:08 12 Jun 14

As pointed out the he printer and for that matter the computer with parralel coon is history-its its all USB now, But there may be a solution Google C.U.P.S. (common Unix print system ) this is an open source library of printer driver from all makers and models. Read it up. Go to control/printers/new / find your way to CUPS server follow the prompt to enter print on the command line seleck make then model from the list provided. You may get lucky

weston 09:45 13 Jun 14

The driver is in XP Home and the printer now works. The problem was the paper feed and it was my fault. Thank you everyone for the responses. Adieu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…