HP Deskjet 5550 printing problems

tallboy 20:59 22 Oct 07

I have an HP Deskjet 5550 printer which generally works well. However, every now and then it goes into a 'spin' if it receives a bad bit of data. Instead of printing the correct text / image, it prints a few lines of gobble-de-gook and then throws out the paper and picks up a new sheet. If, at the time of the error, it is in the middle of printing a long document, this activity can go on for 30 minutes or more - in the process wasting endless paper and ink.

I have tried all the obvious ways to kill this process; check / empty the print queue, cancel the application that was feeding data to it, shut down the PC, switch off the printer etc - all to no avail! It's as if there is a non-volotile memory buffer somewhere (either in my PC or in the printer itself) that is determined not to be stopped from printing rubbish, since as soon as you power up again, it carries on with the same activity until it has emtied the offending buffer. It then works normally again!

Any ideas as to how to fix this problem would be much appreciated.

Tallboy

ambra4 23:36 22 Oct 07

Check this site

click here

Check here for the latest driver

click here

tallboy 10:00 23 Oct 07

Many thanks for the quick reply and links ambra4. I'm obviously not the only person who has suffered this problem!

I'll load the new driver and keep my fingers crossed that this fixes it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017