hp deskjet 340 driver

happymonkey 13:10 10 Aug 03

Do any of you guys know where I can get an xp driver for an HP Deskket 340 portable printer. XP recognises it and installs a driver but it will not print at its maximum resolution. This option isn`t available. I have tried the HP website plus Drivers.com to no avail. Any help will be appreciated.

DieSse 13:30 10 Aug 03

How do you know it's not printing at maximum resolution? The usual maximum quality setting for HP printers is "Best" - not a specific resolution.

From the HP web site, it is clear that ther is no special driver for the HP340 and WinXP, and it saya that the WinXP driver is the driver you require - it also calls this a "basic" deskjet driver.

As this is an older model printer, I think you're stuck with what there is - I can't see HP writing a special driver for older model printers now - and for absolute sure, no-one else is likely to.

sil_ver 13:31 10 Aug 03

There doesn't appear to be an XP driver, at least I can't find one , as you seem to have found out, but have you actually tried to use the driver for Win9x/ME you never know, it might work

happymonkey 15:13 10 Aug 03

In printing preferences, there are 3 choices of output, the maximum being 300x300dpi. This is despite the printer having a max output of 600x300dpi. The output is more like draft quality even though i`m using a new cartridge and the printer has never been used before. I will try Sil_ver`s suggestion.

Many thanks

DieSse 16:54 10 Aug 03

I installed the 340 to look at the settings - and the Graphics quality seems to be fixed at 300x300 - but did you try under the Printer Featire - Print Quality - changing this to Presentation Mode.

I'm afraid the driver you've got is the only XP driver you get - so you'll have to make do with the best it can acheive from th available settings.

Why not try a query to HP - they're very good at answering queries in my experience.

DieSse 17:03 10 Aug 03

By the way, I see that the 600x300 spec applies ONLY to black printing - for colour the max is 300x300.

So that may explain the settings you see in the driver - it may be the Presentation mode is the 600x300 setting?

happymonkey 19:22 10 Aug 03

Thanks for all your efforts. I have printed in "presentation mode" but the results are not great. Even though I have changed the default setting to black, I can not select 600x300. I thought this may be inadaquacies with the driver. I`ll carry on experimenting.

Thanks again DieSse

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…