HP Compaq how can I access BIOS?

bumpkin 16:48 PM 27 Aug 12

Hello, How can I access BIOS on HP compaq dc 7600 SFF. I have no manual and have tried usual things like Del or Tab and some F keys.

Nontek 16:53 PM 27 Aug 12

Pressing F1 during startup should take you to the BIOS.

lotvic 16:59 PM 27 Aug 12

I think it's this ClickHere guide to bios settings

The HP Computer Setup Utility, or F10 Setup, allows making changes to the system BIOS

Woolwell 17:19 PM 27 Aug 12

Why do you want to enter the BIOS? I usually leave mine well alone unless I have a major snag.

bumpkin 17:23 PM 27 Aug 12

Hi and thanks for the quick replies. F1 does not work it just carries on booting. I am still reading Lotvics link. The reason I want to access Bios is to change boot order of hard drives.

lotvic 17:37 PM 27 Aug 12

If it's a temporary change then this bit sounds useful:

Short cut to Temporary Override Boot Order

To boot one time from a device other than the default device specified in Boot Order, restart the computer and press F9 when the F10 = Setup message appears on the screen. When POST is completed, a list of bootable devices is displayed. Use the arrow keys to select a device and press the Enter key.

bumpkin 18:00 PM 27 Aug 12

If I press F9 it gives me a choice of. CD-ROM USB Hard Drive MBA

No option to choose the other HD.

bumpkin 18:08 PM 27 Aug 12

One drive is IDE with XP on. The other is SATA with Win 7. If I connect SATA I get error File missing ntoskrnl.exe please reinstall a copy.

lotvic 18:11 PM 27 Aug 12

"No option to choose the other HD"

You need to give more details on that... Is it an internal sata, ide, or a usb ext HD? and what Operating systems are involved?

I would have thought you needed a Boot Manager to enable you to choose which HD to boot from? (I'm not very knowledgeable at setting that up but sounds like you're wanting a dual boot situation?)

lotvic 18:13 PM 27 Aug 12

We cross posted :)

Still, better wait for someone else who has better knowledge of this than I do.

lotvic 18:19 PM 27 Aug 12

I think you will get more helpers if you start a new thread about Dual Booting and give the full info regarding what you have and if 32bit and/or 64bit etc.

This thread 'access BIOS' has been answered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Toshiba dynaPad release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro 4 rival with Windows 10

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November