HP Battery Alert Error message code 601.

julius44 05:52 AM 14 Feb 13

My neighbour brought her 3 year old laptop round yesterday, as she recieves the following message on start up:

I receive this error message on start-up:

HP Battery Alert The system has detected the storage capacity of the battery stated below to be very low. For optimal performance, this battery may need to be replaced. Primary (internal) Battery (601) ENTER - Continue Startup For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup.

I managed to get into windows but the the mouse button will not move. Everything is just frozen. When I power up again the same message always comes up!!!! I'm not sure if this message is referring to the main battery or not. Also the laptop wont power up at all unless its plugged into a mains charger.

She desperately wants to get the laptop working again. Its a compag laptop...3 yrs old windows vista i think,...def not windows 7. Any solutions please??? Urgent help required!!!

kad60 06:51 AM 14 Feb 13

HP battery test,have a read and follow these instructions.

difarn 06:57 AM 14 Feb 13

601 error message relating to the internal battery usually relates to the CMOS battery which is a round battery similar to those you put in a watch, but larger. It is the power source for a computer chip on the motherboard.

The attached article gives you the steps on how to replace it in a compaq laptop although it may be sightly different depending upon the model.

It can be quite fiddly if you are not confident about carrying out the replacement and going into the bowels of the laptop. You could enquire of your local pc repair shop to see how much they would charge to replace it. The battery itself is very inexpensive.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites