HP 5L Mono Laser Printer To Work on W7?

David4637 15:38 12 Mar 11

I have this old printer which works well on XP. I installed the driver from within XP. .
I purchased a USB to Centronics cable from Amazon.
I can not find a HP5L driver in Add A Printer in W7.
Is there anything I can do, such as using a different driver in W7 so it will work?
I must have the driver disc that came with it somewhere?
Any ideas please?
Thanks David

Strawballs 15:44 12 Mar 11

click here download from here

Woolwell 15:45 12 Mar 11

It appears to be Win 7 compatible and the driver is built into Windows 7 click here

bremner 15:46 12 Mar 11

Your link just says it is available in W7

Strawballs 15:53 12 Mar 11

I had similar problem with HP Businessjet 2800 A3 printer loaded direct from win7 32bit on daughters desktop but would not from win7 64bit on laptop so I told it to find in windows update and worked fine.

David4637 13:40 13 Mar 11

Thanks for replies.
Although HP says the driver is in W7, when I view the list available, HP5L is NOT there.
In the link here
click here
it quotes -

HP LaserJet, Color LaserJet, and LaserJet AiO/MFP Products - Print Driver Available in Windows 7.

1. There are many printers listed in W7, but which one I am supposed to pick?
2. Please note I am having to use a USB to Centronics cable, don't know whether this could cause a problem?
Thanks David

David4637 13:51 13 Mar 11

How did you get W7 64 Bit to find just the printer driver you wanted in Windows Update.
Although I am on Dial Up and normally have Updates switched OFF I would like to try your idea if you would tell me how to do it?
Thanks David

Strawballs 14:28 13 Mar 11

It came up as an option when I plugged the printer in and windows failed to find drivers for it, sorry I can't help more.

David4637 16:46 15 Mar 11

Can someone please look at their W7 printer drivers for HP5L in W7, because I can not find it in the list of HP printer drivers in my version of W7 (not got SP1 on it yet), even though HP says its in the list, when I look at the HP link above?
Thanks David

Woolwell 17:11 15 Mar 11

I assume that you have followed these instructions click here.

It should be under Laserjet 5L. If not in the list then it tells you to click the Windows Update Button.

David4637 18:46 15 Mar 11

Could you please see if you have HP 5L in your W7 list of printers, cause HP says it should be, but I can not see it listed. When I use the dialog button "Windows Update for Printers", nothing happens in 10 mins and I gave up - NOTE: I am on Dial Up!!
Thanks David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009