HP 4600DN printer problems

pbaddhan 12:03 16 Oct 09

We have a HP 4600DN printer that displays the message "jam in tray 2", when the paper has run out in tray 2.

To get the printer working again, I have to put the paper in tray 2 and then open the top cover and then shut the top cover to continue printing. Does anyone have any ideas why the printer is displaying "jam in tray 2" when the paper has run out in tray 2?

Covergirl 13:04 16 Oct 09

. . . . a paper jam.

If this message has just started after a long period of ownership, I'd dismantle the whole thing including toner carts, fuser unit, transfer belts imaging drum, paper trays etc etc etc, give it a good brush and vaccuum out, then inspect EVERYWHERE for a thumbnail sized piece of paper which may be lodged somewhere fairly well hidden.

We've had a 4550DN in our office for several years, or should I say we've had several 4550DNs in our office over the years and they've not been very reliable, each successive 'broken down' model being replaced by a reconditioned unit.

I've had too many error messages to mention, including many from newly reconditioned units, so give it a good check over - if you can't find the problem, put it down to one of those annoying self diagnostic error messages that are designed to be more confusing than helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos