Howto Change "Opens with..." in XP Pro?

Chegs ® 19:55 18 Jul 03

I have decided I dont like a program that I was planning on using to edit videos from my camcorder.I want to change to another prog,how does one do it in XP Pro having ticked the box?(In 98se,it was simply right-click whilst holding shift,and the "Opens with..." option appeared)

hugh-265156 19:58 18 Jul 03

in xp home its just right click(no shift needed)

choose open with,select the program and tick the always use this box.

Chegs ® 20:02 18 Jul 03

I am stuck as I have it setup to open the prog when it detects the camcorder.Right click then offers only open/explore/get pictures/create shortcut/rename/properties.None of those leads me to anything to alter the program.

VoG II 20:14 18 Jul 03

Adam,

See if this helps click here

Chegs ® 22:38 18 Jul 03

Hello VoG,that unfortunately only allows me to select a file to be opened(and change it)it doesn't show me how to alter the camcorder settings/associations.I might try removing all references to the canon,then see what happens when I fire it up connected to the puter.Slightly ham fisted approach,but it could work.

Chegs ® 08:55 19 Jul 03

?

rubella 10:24 19 Jul 03

hiya Chegs ®

"Choose your scanning options using the Scanner and Camera Wizard. Windows XP also gives you the option of launching a preferred imaging application for these events?rather than using the wizard by default?provided that the application is WIA-enabled."

click here

Chegs ® 13:09 19 Jul 03

I have tried removing the Canon/app from my puter,but xp simply restores the camcorder in device manager,and insists on trying to open the camcorders output in an app that I have removed(Unable to find Program')I am now thinking of reinstalling xp,as I cannot find howto alter its insistence on using an unsuitable app to edit the video.

Chegs ® 21:36 19 Jul 03

?

jazzypop 23:47 19 Jul 03

If you uninstall and then reinstall the program that you want to use then, as the only video-editing program on your PC (or the last-installed one) it should associate itself with your camera and video-editing.

This will probably happen automatically during installation, but watch the setup options very carefully - you may have to manually choose for it to be the default editor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…