The Howling Fan again

jack 14:32 02 Dec 04

What I really came on for was the howlinh fan syndrome
Much discussed last week with other who were edxperiencing similar.
Give it a good Hoovering they said - did that.
Fan screwing its self down -slacked it off a bit.
Each time a cure for a while then it starts up.
During the proceedings above - Managed to break a blade of fan[ Moral here is nopokenfinger inmovingmachinery ]
Went to fair Sunday get another socket 7 fan for my Athlone- not quite the same- thicker housing longer screws needed- wiring different no temp sensor, plug into the big sockets not the MoBo - started up, Silence- Wonderful.
This morning, start up -HOOOOWWWLLL.
shut down[still in POST}, start up -Silence
Now what?

Gongoozler 15:58 02 Dec 04

I can't say why your processor fans are getting so noisy in such a short time, however for quiet processor cooling you really need a heatsink with a large diameter fan such as this one that I'm using from Ebuyer
click here.

The only word of warning that I must add is that when you remove your old heatsink it is essential that you remove every minute trace of old thermal paste. I didn't and it cost me a new processor.

Pidder 18:55 02 Dec 04

PCWorld online shop do a Q-TEC Noiseless fan/heatsink with a low speed fan which I have installed on my Celeron, I think socket 7, which I find very satisfactory.

Not PSU or other fan dying?

Gongoozler 19:21 02 Dec 04

To determine exactly the location of the noise source, roll a sheet of A4 paper to make a tube about 39cm long by 2cm diameter. Put one end to your ear and use the other end to locate the noise source.

Gongoozler 19:22 02 Dec 04

That should have been "a tube about 30cm long by 2cm diameter"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…