How would Upgrading my motherboard effect windows

sype 17:53 07 Jul 08

I have a duel boot XP and Vista pc that i want to upgrade. If i install a new motherboard, CPU and memory How will this effect my windows licence. will i have to buy new product keys?

Technotiger 17:56 07 Jul 08

No, but you would need to re-activate it via Microsoft.

crosstrainer 17:57 07 Jul 08

If you have a full retail copy of Windows (Vista and XP) then it won't effect your license, but you may have to chat to Microsoft to activate it.

If, however you have an oem (supplied with the machine) copy of the operating system(s) then those copies die with the machine, and you would need to purchase new copies.

Some people have got around this by using the "my motherboard blew" excuse, but it's taking a big risk.

it worked for me once!!

it was however just a motherboard.

crosstrainer 06:44 08 Jul 08

The motherboard is the component that Microsoft chose as the "dead machine, buy a new copy" component.

You were lucky, I know of people who have done this, and have had customers ask me to do it...Bottom line is I won't. The trouble is, motherboards do fault down on occasion, and that is why it's sometimes possible to re-activate Windows with "Smooth talking" :)

i had at the time a retail copy of vista sitting on my bookshelf that i had just spent over £200 on and wasnt using. so it was not so much smooth taking as insane rantings. it worked though even though the person i was ranting at probably couldnt understand me as his english was shocking!

crosstrainer 08:08 08 Jul 08

And the retail copy would have given you no problems at all!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…