How to Wireless my Broadband Internet Connection

Ben Chuud 03:08 19 Mar 04

I have a Desktop PC which connects to Internet Broadband using a USB Modem. The USB Modem and home phone is plugged into a splitter. So far so good.

Now I just purchased a Systemax Tourbook 5102 laptop (with Intel Pentium M 1.6GHZ processer)
click here

It claims to have a wireless Intel Mini PCI 802.1B network Card, however I am not sure..

In Network Connections, I see that the Wireless Network Connection is Unavailable , what does it mean and what shud I do ??

In Local Area Connection, it reads: Network Cable unplugged Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller, what does it mean and what shud I do ??

At present when I want to use my laptop to access the Internet using the broadband connection, I unplugged the USB Modem from the Desktop to use the Internet. I don't want to keep doing that.

I want to leave the Desktop connected to the Internet using the plugged USB Modem and want to share the connection with my laptop wirelessly.

I know I need to get additional equipment to be able to do that.. the more I investigate and look around, the more confused I get as to what I should be doing. I dont want to end up buying the wrong equipment.

I have just seen this, Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
click here. Is this the answer to my needs ???

I have e-mailed simply computers and systemax and am not getting any response. Thought you guys might have the answers.

I would appreciate all assistance .. Thanks in advance

Rigga 09:19 19 Mar 04

Hi Ben,

The below advice assumes you will have a network card in your desktop computer.

The Linksys router you are looking at will work, but as it does not contain an ADSL modem or firewall, so you will have to share your internet connection from your existing computer, and continue to use your existing USB modem. this means that for your laptop to access the internet your desktop must be switched on.

If you wish to go down this route then a simple wireless PCI desktop card will achieve silmiar results. (Assuming you don't want to expand your network any further, in which case the router is best)

However, If you have the money a much better option is to get the Linksys WAG54G 54Mbps ADSL VPN Wireless Router click here
It's more expensive, but it contains both an ADSL modem, and a Hardware Firewall.

What this means, is that you configure your new Modem router to access your ISP, then plug your desktop into the router with a network cable (There's one supplied with the Modem / Router) then there will always be an internet connection waiting for you to use, either with your desktop or your laptop.

I've purchased just such a modem / router and it's fab, easy to setup and use.

Another bonus is that it contains a hardware firewall. Before I had the new modem / router, i was getting around 2-3 thousands access attempts a day being blocked by Zonealarm. Since I installed the new modem / router. I've had none...

JerryJay 09:32 19 Mar 04

For all in one solution, a cheaper one DSL-604+ ADSL Router Wireless LAN Connectivity: click here

byfordr 11:02 19 Mar 04

Or another one with all of the above Netgear DG834G. Nice an easy to setup

click here

Ben Chuud 14:55 19 Mar 04

Sorry I do not have a network card in my desktop computer, If I buy Linksys WAG54G 54Mbps ADSL VPN Wireless Router , do I need to get a network card for my desktop, if so, wich one ?? would I need any additional hardware for my laptop. Soory I am new with this kind of things.. Your advice most appreciated

byfordr 15:16 19 Mar 04

click here (with pretty pictures)

Three examples of 10/100 Mbps network cards on the above link

either one that slots into a spare pci slot for about £10 - NET-LS-LNE100TX

or one that goes in the usb port for about £20

One for a laptop about £30 - (Linksys EtherFast 10/100 PCMCIA crd) NET-LS-PCM100

JerryJay 15:19 19 Mar 04

No need to do anything for your laptop since it got wireless buildin.

The cheapest and easist way is the first way suggested by Rigga. Just get a PCI wireless card £16 click here or wiress usb stick £23 click here and set up peer to peer network.

For Rigga's route solution, you need a PCI network card £3.8 click here, or a usb network adaptor if you do not want to open computer £7 click here

For guide of setting up homenet work, you can find very good guide here: click here

JerryJay 15:28 19 Mar 04

For router method, it would be cheaper to get D-Link DSL-604+ 22Mbps ADSL click here, nicer looking as well.

Linksys one is more expensive because it is 11g device (high bandwidth), but your laptop is 11b, so better to get cheaper 11b device.

For internet connection (512kbs) then 11b (11MBs) is more than enough.

byfordr 15:39 19 Mar 04

Try this posting (and the links mentioned in it) click here

"In Local Area Connection, it reads: Network Cable unplugged Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller, what does it mean and what shud I do ??"

Whatever machine this is has a 10/100 network port in it already. Which this you can connect it to a router via Cat5 cable, or to another computer with a network port via crossover cable.

The easiest way to set this up is to get an all in one modem/router/wireless/firewall like any of the 3 above. Ditch the usb modem. Use the existing wireless B card. If you want to connect the desktop as well get another wireless b card ie click here (goes in usb port) or a pci card one click here (you can use any make) If you don't want to get a second wireless adapter and the desktop is near to the phone point wire it into the router using cat5 (you'll need a 10/100 network card for this) As long as the modem/router unit is on you won't need both pcs on to use the other.

Rigga 08:38 22 Mar 04

Sorry I wasn't around on Friday.. but it looks like everyone pitched in and gave you all the advice you needed..

If there is any other problems, or you're still confused.. post again, and I'll try to help..

Ben Chuud 09:48 22 Mar 04

Hi Rigga & All,

Thank you all so much for you suggestions, I will have to digest it all and then work on it.. Will be in touch if need more advise.. Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…