How to wipe clean my hard drive?

pherpo 22:33 10 Oct 03

What is the easiest way to completly wipe my hard disc clean to enable me to start again with a clean slate (as it were).
Those of you who have seen my previous postings will know that I am a complete novice with my computer so any help or advice should be as simple as posible. I am now using Windows XP Home Edition with S.P.1 and have the disc.
Has the proceedure been published in PCAdvisor at any time?

kinger 22:38 10 Oct 03

If you have a Windows start up, or boot floppy disc you'll be able to insert it into the drive and format it from there. Format drive C:

After a time it will be ready for you to insert the Windows XP CD and that should take it from there, following on-screen instructions.

vaughan007 22:38 10 Oct 03

Do you just mean you just want to re-install windows and take the PC back to the way it was when you bought it?

vaughan007 22:39 10 Oct 03

making files you have deleted, etc......is a different kettle of fish.

vaughan007 22:40 10 Oct 03

sorry...i meant to say making files you have deleted not repairable is a different kettle of fish.

VoG II 22:47 10 Oct 03

click here may help you.

graham√ 23:25 10 Oct 03

Good link, I think blackviper has his finger on the pulse.

pherpo, or whatever, you say you have 'the disc', which disc do you have?

What you are implying, with XP, is System Recovery. This is not a simple process.

pherpo 21:51 11 Oct 03

Thanks to all who responded to my posting.I will try the link suggested by VoG.

The Sack 22:03 11 Oct 03

If you know what make the drive is go to there site, find there utills and download the one that does a zero fill (some times called a low level format but it isnt) run the zero fill and this setts the drive to "as new" state.

Al94 22:10 11 Oct 03

There are many reasons why people want to "wipe clean" their hard drive, and I don't mean to cast any aspersions here. If the query relates to wiping it so that no previous activity can be read, then the simple answer is that you CAN'T and the ONLY answer is to bin the drive and get a new one. Don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise. The authorities have very interesting metods of reading a drive that has been written over!!!!

DieSse 22:53 11 Oct 03

Note - if you use FDISK to redo your drive, you will get FAT32 partitions. This may/should not be what you want. NTFS is superior.

If you use the manufacturers "zero-fill" utility before you start, it will give you a "factory-fresh" drive.

Then you can use the XP CD setup, exactly as if it were on a new drive, and use it to set everything up from scratch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…