How to view Sky Channels on PC

Bailey08787 19:26 20 Sep 09

Hi

I have Sky HD in the lounge. I've attached an aerial between the RF Out on the back of the Sky box to my PC TV card (which has two digital tuners).

Through Windows Media Centre, I have picked up a raft of FreeView Channels (upon scanning for channels).

I was wondering whether it was possible to view channels such as Sky Sports on the pc through my TV card (even if it also has to be on that channel in the lounge).

thanks

GaT7 21:59 20 Sep 09

Hi Bailey08787, you'll need more than a just a standard TV Tuner card - DVB-S TV card & a CAM/CI device - see click here (main thread click here). G

DieSse 22:20 20 Sep 09

If you're picking up the sugnal from the sky box, then it should display any channels that your sky box outputs.

You shouldn't use the scanning facility - you should tune in to the one frequency that is the Sky RF output - then change channels on the Sky box.

When you scan, if you've got a digital tuner in your PC, then you will also pick up the Freeview channels coming straight from your main aerial (ie not from the Sky box output.

In this respect your PC is acting exactly like a second television. It will, of course, only show the same as the main TV, unless it's a Sky+ box.

Disconnect your main aerial (not the Sky dish) - then scan with your PC until you get the Sky box output - then you'll know which signal is from the box. When you put the main aerial back in, scan again and the rest will be coming from that.

Quiet Life 22:32 20 Sep 09

I may have missed something but if you have a coaxial cable between your sky box and the RF out connection on your TV card you should get whatever is showing on your sky box.
I presume this what you are saying by "I've attached an aerial between the RF Out on the back of the Sky box to my PC TV card"
Try the coaxial into another TV just to make sure that you get a picture through the coaxial.

BRYNIT 23:11 20 Sep 09

Years ago you had an analogue TV card in the computer this allowed you to tune into the RF signal sent via the RF out of the sky box the same as tuning the old video recorder to a TV.

If I'm correct the RF out from your sky box is still an analogue signal. Your digital tuners in the computer cannot tune to an analogue signal only digital. Crossbow7 seems to have one solution there may be others but have not found them as yet.

Stuartli 08:47 21 Sep 09

My Twinhn Freeview PCI TV card has both analogue and digital tuners.

It's also the case, for instance, with the relevant DTB Hauppauge cards:

click here

I suspect that Bailey08787 may have to switch his TV card(s) to analogue mode as and when necessary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…