How to view Minolta .MOV files?

stlucia 13:50 25 Feb 04

I've created some short movie clips using my Minolta dImage Xt, and can play them back on the camera. But after I've downloaded them onto my PC none of the software I've got available (Windows XP Home Edition, IrfanView with all plugins loaded, Roxio CD/DVD Creator version 6, and TMPGEnc) recognises the file type.

Windows says its a QuickTime file but IrfanView says it can't read it. TMPGEnc and Roxio both say it's an incorrect file type. I haven't tried QuickTime itself (not on the net at home, so can't download it), but IrfanView with plugins is supposed to read QuickTime files anyway.

So, any ideas how I can view the files, please, and then get them onto a DVD?

Diodorus Siculus 15:04 25 Feb 04

You will most likely need QuickTime installed to get Irfanview to function. This is the case with a number of Irfanview's plugins.

If you cannot get QT, email me and I will send you a CD with it on.

stlucia 15:19 25 Feb 04

I thought the plugin was supposed to do the job. Anyway, I've applied for BB, so I'll wait until that's installed and then go back to the QuickTime site from my home PC. I'll get back to you if I need to take you up on your offer.

But I'd also heard in the past that QT can mess up other viewers installed on your PC -- is there any truth in that?

Diodorus Siculus 15:23 25 Feb 04

Don't think so... I have many different ones installed and never see any conflicts.

Just be careful when setting it up that you don't allow it to register anything but its own file types. There is usually an advanced install option.

anchor 15:26 25 Feb 04

I recently installed Quicktime, and have had no problems with anything.

I would suggest that you only enable Quicktime to view Quicktime movies. This can be done in MIME settings during setup. I cancelled all other options.

yonex24562 15:26 25 Feb 04

When I got my Minolta Dimage 5 camera the quick time was included on the software disk. However if you right click on the file you will get a menu which should give you the option of opening the file with a choice of programs, choose the windows media player and it should show you the movie clips, ( it does on my xp home edition . hope this helps. Cheers

stlucia 15:56 25 Feb 04

yonex24562, the CD which came with my Xt says that it's only the manual in about a dozen different languages -- but I'll have another browse of it to see if there's some other software there. I double-clicked the movie file icon and selected Windows Media Player, but it would have nothing of it.

anchor and Diodorus ..., thanks for the reassurance about QuickTime, and the tips for setting it up.

nooney 20:31 25 Feb 04

I downloaded from JVC DV into Win Movie Maker under WIN ME and all was fine.
BUT I cannot even see the file clips when using Roxio and Ulead as they do not seem to recognise the WAV files.
Maybe you have a similar problem

stlucia 08:44 26 Feb 04

Found a copy of QuickTime in the discarded Xmas wrappings! Installed it, and now I can view the clips and, more importantly, Roxio recognises them and is able to put them onto a SVCD or DVD -- though it does give a warning that there may be problems with the video. But there isn't, they play on the TV just fine.

IrfanView and Windows Media Player still can't cope with them, but that's not an issue now. Thanks for all the help.

I noticed that after installing QuickTime the clips are now labelled as "QuickTime file" (or something like that) when I view them in Explorer, whereas before they were simply listed as ".MOV file". Could that be why Roxio didn't know what to do with them, and why nooney is having problems with Roxio recognising his .WAV files?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…