How to use a VPN

tony-guitar 18:14 08 Feb 14

I've just read the article in PCA reviewing free VPN's. It includes a useful 'tinyurl' link but I'm still a little confused. I understand that data is encrypted on its way to a VPN's server that could be anywhere in the world, making it virtually impossible to trace. Would a VPN help with security when I'm online banking for example? Would the bank recognise the encrypted request, eg: to check my balance, make transactions, and even using paypal? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

T0SH 18:50 08 Feb 14

I found Hotspot Shield free very easy to set up and use you just have to remember to start it running and log in then surf away as usual whilst appearing to be located in the USA

Secret-Squirrel 20:03 08 Feb 14

Hi Tony

"Would a VPN help with security when I'm online banking for example?"

No it wouldn't. Your data is fully encrypted before it even leaves your PC so there's no need to encrypt it even further. The same applies to all HTTPS sites that are used for online shopping (including PayPal) and banking etc. It's a highly secure system.

VPNs are good for those folk who want a website to think they're in a different country and/or want everything encrypted because they don't want the government (or anyone else who may try to intercept their data) to know what they're up to and which websites they're visiting.

rdave13 20:32 08 Feb 14

I agree with Secret-Squirrel but they can be useful if you use a free hotspot Wi-Fi for example. Even so I'd only check emails on a free wi-fi network and would never connect to any business/bank site for obvious reasons. Usually these free VPN's will slow your connection speed. Try out T0SH's suggestion and have a play around. Remember to go to internet options, connections , lan section and untick the proxy box, if not already done so automatically ,when you disconnect the VPN client or uninstall.

tony-guitar 20:51 08 Feb 14

Thanks. I don't do anything I shouldn't, so may be VPN's aren't necessary for me, except, maybe on my mobile where wi-fi is all around.

rdave13 21:10 08 Feb 14

tony-guitar and that is where I'm paranoid. On my mobile phone I will check my emails but won't install my Bank's App or do any financial transactions on it. Don't trust the security one bit.

rdave13 23:28 08 Feb 14

Nice to her Pandora again.

Ian in Northampton 20:37 09 Feb 14

tony-guitar: VPNs are (for me) mostly useful when I'm travelling abroad. There is some content - the BBC web site is a good example - that is uniquely available to those in the UK. If I'm in e.g. Italy and want to access content as if I was in the UK, a VPN is a good way of achieving that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…