How to use a router to connect two PCs

LyricalG 22:28 22 Mar 03

I have an ADSL line, and one of my computers has a USB modem connected to it. I want to get my other comp in the other room to also have the net. I tried using 2 nics and a cat5 crossover cable to connect the two comps, but for some reason I coouldn't get it to work. So now I want to buy a router. Any idea which ones are good and how much are they? I will not be connectin any other comps in the future. Which cable will I need to connect it to the two comps and phone line? Any help on what I need to do will be good.

Forum Editor 00:02 23 Mar 03

that you get a router which will allow you to connect your USB modem to it - not all of them do. Some ADSL routers have their own modem built in, and these connect directly to the phone socket.

You connect other computers to the router using ordinary CAT5 ethernet cable and RJ45 plugs. You can buy cable lengths already made up.

In answer to your question - an ADSL router will cost around £140

LyricalG 00:31 23 Mar 03

I didn't know i could use the existing modem in any way, I will if it is cheaper, and aint £140 a bit steep, I thought they were around £50?

LyricalG 11:53 23 Mar 03

Anyone else?

LyricalG 14:50 23 Mar 03

Any good cheap routers available then?

spikeychris 15:18 23 Mar 03

When you say you couldn't get it to work...

What operating systems are you using?

What ISP are you using?

What error messages are you getting?

How have you set up the network?

LyricalG 15:38 23 Mar 03

1st pc has XP, second ME, ISP is BT, I set up the network using 2 nics and a cat5 crossover cable, didn't work as they didn't seem to be recognised in network places, just said not accessible or summin like that when I clicked on view workgroup computers, just basically coudn't get them to recognise each other, that's why I want to buy a router as it is simpler and less trouble, so what do I need and what are the best cheap ones?

spikeychris 15:58 23 Mar 03

You can obviously go out and but a router but there is always a way to fix a network. Have you put the machines on the same work-group, do they have separate names, have you set a static IP, have you used TCP/IP, are there any exclamation marks in device manager from the NIC's.

Just a few things to mull over before you slash out on a router and more cable.

click here

click here

click here

armageddon_outta_here 16:06 23 Mar 03

Your present problems:
I suggest you make sure you have disabled your frewalls, including the XP's ICF.

As regards cost of a good router, you are right you can get them for around £50.
click here

The higher priced ones come with a firewall, but in my view you can always rely on free software firewalls.

The advantage of a router is that both machines have independent access to the net.

LyricalG 16:18 23 Mar 03

The weird thing is when both computers are turned on, then in says the network cable is connected, but still doesn't seem to recognise it, I'm gonna try to set up the IP's again.

Phased 16:31 23 Mar 03

LyricalG... are you trying to set the network up with a firewall such as Zone alarm running?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…