How to use internet on the move

geewis357 21:42 16 Jun 05

Can anybody help? I have an acer travel mate laptop and would like to know how to conect to the internet without the use of a phone line ie mobile phone, I have been told that you can get a card or somthing similar with a sim card in it to stick in the side, but nobody I know can advise me.

pauldonovan 22:57 16 Jun 05

i) WiFi - wireless networks in, for example, public places or offices. Like in Starbucks, Airports etc. Drawback: No nearby network = no access, and they aren't as available as the mobile networks.

ii) Mobile networks - you say 'without a mobile' but any card with a sim card is effectively a mobile. You can:

a) Use your laptop to talk to your mobile via Infrared / Bluetooth / Cable and use your mobile's GPRS connectivity or

b) Buy a GPRS / 3G card to put in your laptop. I have a Vodafone 3G card. Coverage can be an issue, but GPRS coverage is fairly good and it will switch back from 3G to GPRS when possible. 3G speed is not available everywhere but is better because it is quicker and nearer to broadband speeds.

Make sense?

geewis357 23:04 16 Jun 05

GPRS/3G card sounds like it would be perfect. What speeds are we talking about what cost to buy and what is the running/surfing cost.
many thanks

VoG II 23:05 16 Jun 05

PCMCIA card - widely available.

geewis357 23:08 16 Jun 05

Thanks vog, but how much to buy? how much per min and how fast?

woodchip 23:15 16 Jun 05

Vodaphone do a Card

woodchip 23:16 16 Jun 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…