how to use a diskimage prog to back up question

patso 21:16 21 Mar 07

can you tell me how use a disk imaging prog in case of a crash.i have a 250 gig external hard drive plugged in to a 40 gig with 20 free space.do i need to partition the external drive or just save the image to a folder.the progs are called HD COPY 2.1 and Exact image6,i am wondering will these copy the whole pc including windows xp home,and do i just copy the image back on an empty pc if there is a full wipe out,some links would be great,thanks

Technotiger 21:25 21 Mar 07

Hi, I am not familiar with HD Copy or Exact Image, but I would strongly recommend Acronis True Image - very easy to use and will Backup absolutely Everything, including all your personal settings on all programs.

Technotiger 21:27 21 Mar 07

Just to confirm ...

click here

patso 21:27 21 Mar 07

ok technotiger can you tell me where to purchase this prog thanks again, patso

patso 21:29 21 Mar 07

sorry didnt see the link thanks again

Technotiger 21:34 21 Mar 07

Download here ... click here

patso 21:36 21 Mar 07

thanks again cheers

Technotiger 21:39 21 Mar 07

When you use Acronis, you are asked to create a Rescue CD, this is how you would re-start and restore your pc after a catastrophic crash. Just save your backup to your external hard-drive, no need to create a special partition.

daisy2bell 21:40 21 Mar 07

patso

I have Acronis version 9. I had to replace my harddrive a couple of days ago. I had made a backup of my entire system with Acronis a few days earlier, and stored this on my external harddrive.
Take old HD out, insert new HD, booted up with recovery disk, and then ran Acronis with the saved backup copy. Total time 1 hour and 15 minutes.
If I had had to reload all my software programmes etc using the CD's, that would have taken me the best part of 6 hours.
Acronis is simple to use bur restores your system (in my cas) in half an hour.
I can thoroughly recomend it.

patso 21:52 22 Mar 07

ok thanks again just one more thing how do i create a rescue cd do i have to back up to the cd ?sorry for the silly questions?

daisy2bell 21:56 22 Mar 07

Patso

Open up Acronis, and it gives you the option of: "Create a Bootable Rescue Media" or words to a similar effect. Click on it and just follow the on screen instructions.It's realy easy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…