How to upgrade to Vista and keep XPsp2 ?

Cesare 15:34 24 Sep 07

Can I upgrade XP to Vista and keep XP available in case I want to go back ? Or upgrade XP to Vista on one HD partition only, so have both available ?

Quiller. 15:52 24 Sep 07

" Can I upgrade XP to Vista and keep XP available in case I want to go back ? "

No.

" Or upgrade XP to Vista on one HD partition only, so have both available ? "

Yes.

You would have to partition your hard drive and put Vista on the partitioned drive. That’s if the drive has enough space.

You would then have the option to dual boot the computer. You would have a choice into which operating system you want for that session.

Have you checked to see if your computer is good enough to run the version of Vista you want to use?

interzone55 16:26 24 Sep 07

I think you may be on wobbly legal ground here. I have a feeling that by upgrading from XP to Vista you have to relinquish the XP license.

I know this is the case with some very expensive software I sell, if you move from one version to another the license key for the old version is instantly deactivated.

Cesare 16:34 24 Sep 07

Yes I have checked and MS assesment says DVD-RW drive Soundmax Integrated audio might require that I get a new DVD-RW drive when on Vista. I also got Dell's assesment who said that my Display card Nvidia FX5200 will need changing and also my Device Driver Intel (R)82801EB Ultra ATA storage controllers need upgrading. I will be replacing the card next week. The DVD-RW is my worry. I have a DELL Dimension 4600 P4 2,66GHZ 120 HDD and an external HD 250GB, Memory 2.50GB. I have four partitions, one of which I never use but I dont know how to find out the capacity of each partion ?

Cesare 16:37 24 Sep 07

alan14...OIC you are probably right !

Quiller. 19:46 24 Sep 07

I dual boot with this machine. It has XP OEM on the first partition and Vista home premium ( free upgrade OEM disk) on the other partition.

Both work fine and Microsoft update both versions of there software.

I had a catastrophic failure around 5 weeks ago. I had to totally wipe all drives and start again. I re-installed XP OEM and Vista upgrade OEM. Microsoft verified and passed both operating systems.

So no problems with licence keys on these installations:))

interzone55 22:02 24 Sep 07

An oem disk contains a full version of the OS, it isn't an upgrade license, so you are OK dual booting a system with these disks.

My point is regarding an upgrade to the OS removing your right to use the old OS. I'm sure that Cesare wouldn't have a problem, I'm just pointing out the legal grey area, in case it prickled their conscience.

AndreP 10:59 25 Oct 07

Wrong - You can not upgrade XP to Vista and have dual boot. You still only have 1 valid MS license(XP to Vista via upgrade license). To dual boot you need to buy a full retail copy of Vista.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced