How to update video card drivers?

hawthorn59 18:23 29 Jan 11

Hi folks

I have a new laptop, Sony vaio, just 2 months old. I purchased 2 games from Zylom, but neither will run. They crash straight away.They are not huge games, just simple match 3 type, no heavy graphics needed. I went on the Zylom Help page and got this:

Problem may be resolved by undating video card drivers.

It tells me to run DXDIAG to find th card type. I got this:

Intel(R) HD Graphics (Resolution 1366x768) Color Dept 32bit (I have a 64bit Win 7 machinf, is this relevant?)

How do I update these? They then suggest that if that didnt work to download the latedt version of DirectX. Should I try that first? I did a search for DirectX and came up with nothing on my machine. Maybe I dont have it!

thanks

h

northumbria61 18:28 29 Jan 11

You can get DirectX download from Microsoft.com - click here I would try that first.

northumbria61 18:38 29 Jan 11

If you need/want to update your Graphics Card driver you need to go to Device Manager - Start - Control Panel (or type device at Start then choose Device Manager) - under Display Adapters right click on your Graphics card - Update Driver Software.

hawthorn59 04:52 30 Jan 11

Ive downloaded DirectX and installed it. Ive checked the drivers and it tells me they're up to date.

I have a 64 bit machine, whether that makes any difference. Also I presume the games work on Win 7 but I better check their site.

thanks

h

ICF 06:45 30 Jan 11

Run this auto driver update from intel site click here

gazzaho 09:09 30 Jan 11

It might be wise to visit the Sony site and search for the latest drivers for your particular model of Vaio laptop first, drivers for laptop machines sometimes, but not always, differ from desktop counterparts in that manufacturers sometimes alter them for laptop use, the likes of power saving for better battery life may be one modification with laptop drivers.

I'm not suggesting this is the case with your machine, and using vanilla drivers from the graphics card manufacturer may work fine with your machine any laptop specific modifications (if made) by Sony would be missing.

rawprawn 11:31 30 Jan 11

Sony Europe Support click here
Enter your model and go on and click on downloads

hawthorn59 03:55 31 Jan 11

Tonight the game worked without a problem.... I didnt do much except install the latest windows updates. It would be a co-incidence if that solved the problem but at any rate its working now.

Thanks all!

h

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017