How to unleash radeon 9600 capabalities

square eyes 17:42 24 Jan 05

Hi,
I've treated myself to a Radeon 9600 256mb.
Are there any adjustments or tweaks that i should know about?
Ive played Farcry using medium settings with res 1024/768 on my TFT and it stutters abit when the enviroments are large or if it is showing water graphics and becomes more stuttery the more i reload checkpoint.
I know that the BIOS has graphics settings such as AGP Aperture size, and also the card has 8x support but the BIOS shows a maximum of 4x.
Just want to get the most performance out of it.
Thanks for any advice

citadel 18:27 24 Jan 05

If your motherboard has a 4x slot a 8x card can only work at 4x. there is little diference between the two. aperture size makes little difference. A 9600 is old hat, and you will have to turn game details down for smooth play or get a better card.

ACOLYTE 18:36 24 Jan 05

Farcry is graffix intensive so you may not get the best out of it with the card you have,but having said that it should play it but at lower settings,like citadel says tune down the settings or get a better card.I would also consider another mobo with AGP 8x support if you are going to get an 8x card.

2neat 18:46 24 Jan 05

also download latest cat drivers & control centre. Halo should play ok but you can't push the card too much.

ACOLYTE 18:50 24 Jan 05

I have noted on a few forums that the new ATI 5.1 drivers are a bit buggy dont know how true it is just what others ATI users have said.Think most will wait for the 5.2 drivers.

Totally-braindead 20:13 24 Jan 05

The only suggestion I have for you is to download the latest Omega Drivers for ATI cards and install them, a lot of gamers use them click here

2neat 20:27 24 Jan 05

hmm I play Halo lots and have not noticed any bugs. I had to download Microsoft .NET Framework. Duno what .net is 4.

JoeC 20:51 24 Jan 05

says, download the Catalyst Control Centre from

click here

and set it up for "performance". That is, of course, if you do not already have it.

square eyes 00:40 25 Jan 05

Thanks all for your comments.
I have just realised how little i know about graphics cards. I really thought mine was up there! lol
Cards jump up hugely in performance and even more in price, so point taken citadel about my card being "old hat" :)
I bought the card about a month ago for 63 quid, so i guess i'll settle for 4x for now, doesnt take long before hardware becomes old :(.

I agree with 5.1 catalyst being buggy, i tried to put my old radeon 9000 on another puter with this driver and had all sorts of probs, put the one on before their latest and did the trick!

The Omiga drivers are more suited for gamers?
I will check this out and will set it for performance.
The control center i think is new and havent looked into it yet but will now.

Thanks for you comments

p.s. i wondered why selecting optimal settings in farcry werent high, thought it was a malfunction, now i know why!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…