How to uninstall Battlefield 1942 - road to rome

BBez 21:58 29 Feb 04

When trying to uninstall Battlefield 1942 "shrinkwraped copy, no warez crap" road to rome or secret weapons. It's on my friends Dell running XP Home SP1.

When i attempt to install and reinstall the main game (bf 1942) it works fine (uninstall and reinstall) but when attempting to uninstall "road to rome" and the extras i get an error box with the red x stating "an installation file could not be found. The system cannot find the file specified".

If i try to install the whole CD contents i can again install the main game (bf 1942) but "road to rome" is displayed as installed but shows a file size of 0 bytes...

have uninstalled, cleaned temp files, ran reg-cleaner through the system and tried "sfc / scannow".

Also tried "safe mode", get same error message.

As it's a Dell, it has a copy of Windows XP Home.

How can i reinstall XP Home, Dell System, without losing any user settings as i feel this may be a windows file thats lost...

any help, solutions etc, appreciated

Rennaissance 22:08 29 Feb 04

there is not uninstall program installed for Battlefield 1942 it appears. Try going to control panel and add/remove programs and try to remove it from there. If you can't then are you really desperate to remove it, as i can't see that it is harming your computer in any way. Best to just leave it, until you want to format the pc or something.

BBez 22:39 29 Feb 04

thanks Rennaissance for the suggestion, it has to come out, my friend reckons no other game whatsoever will install now since the problem started...don't want to format, friend is a bit lost with dial-up settings etc

need to make sure that the BF1942 is installed before removing RtR and SWoWW2. Then it should unistall fine.

And there is an unistall program for BF1942

BBez 07:34 01 Mar 04

thanks for the input. Tried it with bf1942 installed, also from safe mode, still get the same error message. I'll leave post open to see if any other possibilities are suggested....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…