How to Transfer my Itunes Music/Libary from old

Killo Bite 22:24 22 Jul 07

machine WinXP to Vista Machine ?

How can I get my itunes music/the music I have paid for of my old machine in itunes onto my new machine.

Have looked and the Apple instructions and it doesn't looke a easy task. The old machine is fairly kaput apart from the HDD and I can access by slave drag & drop to it to gain access but unable to run the windows on it at present.

I have a feeling the music is actually some sort of a file which locks onto the itunes site and doesn't contain actual music. Not sure though so Apple Itunes users in the know welcome your help here please

powerless 00:29 23 Jul 07

You will have to copy the files over from the OLD HDD to the NEW HDD.

The file should end in *.ACC or *.M4A and if you have Videos they will be *.M4V.

You can find them in: C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\My Documents\My Music\iTunes [In XP/iTunes default location].

However you might have to take ownership of the files/folders: click here [Although it's for XP, it's more or less the same for Vista].

In Vista just import them into iTunes and you should be able to play them. You will probably have to authorise them first but they then should play. In iTunes in your account options you can Deauthorise all computers if you want and start again.

Killo Bite 01:27 23 Jul 07

can I ask when I put these files back in the vista business machine (should have said) where should I drop the Files, to which folder. is it actually called "default location.

powerless 10:57 23 Jul 07

C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music

That's the default, but you can change it if you want.

john bunyan 11:09 23 Jul 07

I occasionally back up grandchildren's i Tunes to DVD. It may be worth doing this anyway and transferring music that way, using Powerless's file destination.

Killo Bite 00:07 24 Jul 07

I will get the time to play with it near weekend or at weekend, will post back when I am doing it. Hope I can get access to the folder cos the machine has a dead motherboard hopefully HDD is intact

ashdav 09:28 24 Jul 07

click here does this help ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…