How toNetwork win 98 & XP

MuDelta 21:50 14 Jul 03

I have just bought a new machine with XP. My old machies has win 98SE. I want to network them. Can this be done (easily) and what droblems may there be?

jazzypop 22:00 14 Jul 03

It's dead simple.

Connect the network cards on each PC with a crossover Ethernet cable. Disable any firewalls.

Open the Network Wizard in XP (look in Help), answer the questions carefully, make the disk that it prompts you to make, and run the floppy on the W98 PC.

Further info here if you need it (you won't) - click here

King Diamond 22:01 14 Jul 03

Just network them normally, they should work fine.

What hardware are you using?

There are a few things to consider when networking pc's, so here are a few.

Expandability (will you be adding more pc's in the future), (what sort of sharing do you have in mind), (if you are sharing an internet connection, is it secure), (do you have a backup plan).

The above is only a few basic considerations, but networking two pc's is easier than playing snap.

Do you know what hardware to buy?

I recommend the Linksys 4 Port Router, 2 CAT5e cables with Rj45 connectors, 2 NIC cards 10/100mbps and away you go. The instructions for the router are great and you will be networked in no time.

Good luck.

there should not be any problems at all. you will need a network interface card in each machine and a crossover cable (or two staight-through cables and a hub/switch). all the necessary software is included in windows as is all the help you will need. it is simply a question of running the network connection wizard on both machines and giving them different computer names and the same workgroup name. your firewall might cause a problem but usually if you turn it off when you make the connexion then turn it back on again afterwards all will be well. beware that the xp firewall will be turned on by the wizard so you will have to switch it off if you use a third party firewaal (which is advisable).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…