How to tell who is in a file already

reddwarfcrew 20:21 25 May 06

Hi,

Is there some way (poss VBA code) that can tell me which user is in a word document if it is
'read-only' when I open it?

Thanks.

mammak 22:11 25 May 06

Do you mean multiple users on the same computer?
if so the document read only or not I think should only be able to be read by one person at a time you cant open the same document twice,
very little to go on but if that is what you are meaning wouldnt have thought so???

reddwarfcrew 22:14 25 May 06

Thanks Mammak,

Yes I know that only one person can have 'write' access to a word doc at a time.

What I want to know is that if I open a word doc and it opens in read only mode, can I find out who is actually in it in write mode so that I can ask the to exit the file.

I have a file that someone seems to have permanently open.

VoG II 22:17 25 May 06

Is this on a network?

reddwarfcrew 22:22 25 May 06

Yes it is on a network.

mammak 22:37 25 May 06

hmmm well the network would make a difference because if the file is opened and can be modified or deleted by any other user on the network then in affect you could also change the attributes thats the easy part now I am stummped as to how you could erm shut down that file and then in effect take over adim rights because I think that is what you need to do first???? heeelp lol

reddwarfcrew 22:40 25 May 06

I don't want to actually shut the file down, I just want a way of being able to find out who is currently in it (ie the same that Excel automatically does for you when you try and open a file that someone is already in).
Ta.

reddwarfcrew 23:54 27 May 06

I have been in the office tonight when there is no-one else and I just can't delete it as someone or some application is attached to it.

It seems as the file has become corrupt as it is showing as last modified in March, when I know it has last been modified and saved in May.

I really need to kill this file.

Forum Editor 00:38 28 May 06

an anti-virus program will lock a file like this - have you got such software running on the network?

Alternatively, you, or someone else may be looking at the file in Windows Explorer. If someone is viewing the file details in Windows Explorer, and someone else tries to delete it, they may get an error message, because Explorer has locked the file.

lotvic 01:05 28 May 06

it may be that there is no other person with the file open. I did a google with 'Word document locked on network' and came up with:

Why is my Word document locked?
click here

scroll to see the part about 'temp files'
click here

also may be of use:
click here

powerless 01:15 28 May 06

Is the file located on a server or on your computer?

Control Panel - Admin Tools - Computer Management - Shared Folders - Open Files

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac