How to tell which USB sockets are USB 2

FatboySlim71 10:06 10 May 06

On my PC I have 4 USB sockets at the back and I also have two more USB sockets on the front of my PC, I was wondering how do I tell if they are all USB 2, as something makes me think that the USB's on the front of my PC would be USB 1 as this was the case if I am not mistaken on my last PC, how can I check to see if they are all USB 2 or USB 1.

Diodorus Siculus 10:08 10 May 06

CH000602: How do I determine what version of USB I'm using?
click here

Especially the last two suggestion

Diodorus Siculus 10:10 10 May 06

Come to think of it, unless some of them are via a PCI card, they should all be the same. If they are connected to the motherboard, they will be all the same.

FatboySlim71 10:12 10 May 06

Is there any way that I can check without opening the PC case.

Totally-braindead 10:16 10 May 06

If you have a USB 2.0 capable device and you plug it into a USB socket if its USB 1.1 it should come up with a message saying something about its able to work quicker if you use USB 2.0. My little MP3 player for example is USB 2.0 and comes up with this, even if it didn't if you use it and drop some files on it its plain to see when its slower and therefore using USB 1.1.

ACOLYTE 10:44 10 May 06

It should say enhanced usb in device manager if you have usb2 sockets.

Stuartli 11:43 10 May 06

Acolyte is referring to USB Controllers in Device Manager.

FatboySlim71 14:07 10 May 06

I have just ran a couple of tests.

I have a got a Western Digital Passport USB 2 external hard drive, I also have an AC powered 7 port USB hub. I have just done a test where I dragged and dropped a file, I timed how long it took for it to finish saving it to the external hard drive (this was done with the external hard drive plugged into the 7 port USB hub) I then done the same test with the same file, but this time I connected the external hard drive into the USB's I have at the front of my PC, I timed both tests and the time took on both tests was exactly the same.

Also I did not see any message appear when I either connected the external hard drive into to the front or back USB's showing "its able to work quicker if you use USB 2.0". So therefore can I assume that all the USB sockets on my PC are USB 2 ?

GroupFC 14:17 10 May 06

There must be a good chance. to check for sure follow the advice of Acolyte/Stuartli.

Start>right click My computer>properties>hardware>device manager and then expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers. If you see "enhanced" it means you have USB2.

HTH

FatboySlim71 14:43 10 May 06

GroupFC when I do what you suggest this is shown,

Generic USB Hub

Intel 82801 GB USB Universal Host controller-27C8
Intel 82801 GB USB Universal Host controller-27C9
Intel 82801 GB USB Universal Host controller-27CA
Intel 82801 GB USB Universal Host controller-27CB
Intel 82801 GB USB2 Enhanced Universal Host- controller-27CC

USB 2.0 Root Hub
USB Mass storaqge device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

dms05 14:51 10 May 06

I've just run the same on my new laptop with 3 USB2 ports. It reports:

SIS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
SIS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
SIS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller

Plus a variety of Generic USB Hubs and USB Root Hubs.

Why only one Enhanced reported?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…